Is there a 'right' model of UP Centennial locomotive? (DDA40X)

P. Roehling wrote:

Well, Marklin/Trix engineers have managed to create a Big Boy that happily passes thru R1 curves and very short turnouts (R1 is nearly *ten* inches radius!). It looks ridiculous doing that, though.
And if they can build an SD90MAC that works nicely (I even have one, built by Kato), I feel it would be technically possible to make one dual-motored DDA40X that works well without too many modeling compromises. After all, there *are* already two mass-produced D-D locomotives, designed and built decades ago.
I repeat publicly: if a company builds a DDA40X (UP6936) in mass-produced plastic, I am going to buy it. I would even give 200 USD for it as retail price (as long as it's got dual motors, is a really heavy puller and has detail and quality of the Kato SD9043MAC I own).
Any company interested in getting my money? :-) ;-) (and no, I want to run this beast, so 1.000 USD brass Overland models don't count).
And heck, I am not even a UP fan!
Regards, N.F.

I don't know who built the other one, but Athern's has been out of production for quite some time now, which tells you something.
And BTW: they came in two different versions; one dual-motored and one not.
Pete
I'd start with the Bachmann because there are alot of differences between the Athearn DD40 and the prototype. A DD40 and a DDA40X are very different locomotives. The main thing being the DD40 was never built.
I'd replace unacceptable details with detail parts and see about repowering it.
Modeling the Centennials - Union Pacific's famous 6900's Railroad Model Craftsman, November 1994 page 77 ( "CARTER, BRIAN", "CARTER, CHARLES", DD35, DDA40X, DIESEL, EMD, KITBASH, UP, CONSTRUCTION, ENGINE, LOCOMOTIVE, RMC )