New web site for NMRA British Region

We (actually that's the tech people I just ask them if it can be done and they do it!) are currently updating the National Model Railroad Association British Region site.

I'd like some feedback. Your comments would be much appreciated, particularly if you live outside the UK. All I ask is that you remember that parts of it are still a work in progress.

It can be viewed at

Please post your comments here together with the country you are viewing from.

Thank you for your help

Reply to
Mike Hughes

OK, I took a look from here in the US. Nothing I could see wrong with it, but it left me with the feeling it was too professional/commercial for an association of hobbyists. I get the same feeling, but to a lesser degree, with the US site.

Maybe both are just a little too busy. I liked the page for NMRA Canada a lot better, and it's fairly simple.

Larry Blanchard

If you enjoyed that what about the Australasian one?

Thanks for the feedback. we are trying to make it look reasonably professional without forgetting the personal touch. Hopefully this will become more apparent as we add things like video links, photos and a 'hints and tips' forum.

As we add in more features would you let us know what you think?

Reply to
Mike Hughes

As a Canadian (thanks for posting all those pictures of our club here in Edmonton), I prefer the Australian site out of the four.

Peter

Mike Hughes wrote:

Reply to
P. Ulvestad

Looks good from the US. I like it more than the US site, but you misspelled 'programme' and you'll catch flack for the Wunderland link. :o)

Neat to see that your convention will be held in Swindon, as I was stationed at a USAF base just outside Swindon for three years. Stop in the 'Lamb & Flag' or the 'Rifleman' in Swindon or the 'Three Tuns' in Wroughton and hoist a pint or two of ordinary bitter for me. The 'Moonraker' was also good. And don't let them talk you into a couple pints of Scrumpy!

Reply to
LD

I looked. I won't rate it above the UK one, but I'd place it a close second. But all of this is extremely subjective. If Mike got a hundred responses it might be possible to glean a trend but with only a few ???

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Whoever designed it was using a low-res monitor. The type faces are tiny on this one (1680x1050).

Otherwise does a good job of providing info, layout is straightforward, and no fancy/goofy flash video to distract you.

Oh, I don't like it when alternate/additional scenes parade across the video screen. Take up valuable space. Should be designed as a separate object.

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Not too bad, but yes, the font is too small, and am I missing something? I couldn't see a gallery, or links to members sites.

Shane

Reply to
scoot

In message , scoot writes

The gallery and links to members sites are yet to be added. The tech guys are currently working on the members only section. When that's done we they will be adding more sections including links to other model railway sites.

When that lot is done (apparently there is a lot of work with very little to show at the end) I'm hoping to introduce a Hints and Tips or just a plain 'How To' section which will probably take the form of a forum. I'm trying to get it so that we can allow non members to register then post questions or tips. The hard part is to do this without allowing the spammers to get in - that's why the techs are working so hard.

Is there anything anyone would like to see that you think we should add?

Reply to
Mike Hughes

Mike, a lot of sites have the bit where a poster has to manually enter an oddly displayed string of letters and numbers. Should be fairly easy to duplicate that code. It does keep the mass posters away. As far as the odd individual who's gone off his meds, that's something we all have to put up with unless you can find a full time moderator.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Does Ctrl-+ work for you?

Reply to
Steve Caple

On 8/15/2009 9:40 AM Larry Blanchard spake thus:

Otherwise known as a "captcha"; see

for details.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Sure, but most web sites have adequately sized fonts. IOW, they were designed with varying monitors in mind.

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

That's one of the things that we are incorporating which the tech guys tell me is causing part of the problem getting it as safe as possible.

I intend to get a couple of guys as moderators. Very simple rules. If it is in any way dubious it gets deleted. Contentious items will be allowed provide there is no profanity or personal attacks.

Reply to
Mike Hughes

Well, far be it from me to defend web site designers, for I've seen a lot of bad ones, but with a laptop with a 15.4" 1920x1200 screen, I've gotten used to scaling up the fonts as needed - and still wouldn't swap for lower resolution - It's really nice and sharp even when tiny, and I'm not about to give up 1080P HD equivalent. They can do worse things, for sure.

Reply to
Steve Caple