New web site for NMRA British Region

We (actually that's the tech people I just ask them if it can be done and they do it!) are currently updating the National Model Railroad
Association British Region site.
I'd like some feedback. Your comments would be much appreciated, particularly if you live outside the UK. All I ask is that you remember that parts of it are still a work in progress.
It can be viewed at www.nmrabr.org.uk
Please post your comments here together with the country you are viewing from.
Thank you for your help
--
Mike Hughes
Marketing Co-ordinator NMRA British Region
On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 13:59:11 +0100, Mike Hughes wrote:

OK, I took a look from here in the US. Nothing I could see wrong with it, but it left me with the feeling it was too professional/commercial for an association of hobbyists. I get the same feeling, but to a lesser degree, with the US site.
Maybe both are just a little too busy. I liked the page for NMRA Canada a lot better, and it's fairly simple.
http://www.nmracanada.ca/index2_en.htm

If you enjoyed that what about the Australasian one? http://www.nmra.org.au /
Thanks for the feedback. we are trying to make it look reasonably professional without forgetting the personal touch. Hopefully this will become more apparent as we add things like video links, photos and a 'hints and tips' forum.
As we add in more features would you let us know what you think?
--
Mike Hughes
As a Canadian (thanks for posting all those pictures of our club here in Edmonton), I prefer the Australian site out of the four.
Mike Hughes wrote:

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 21:14:08 +0000, P. Ulvestad wrote:

I looked. I won't rate it above the UK one, but I'd place it a close second. But all of this is extremely subjective. If Mike got a hundred responses it might be possible to glean a trend but with only a few ???

Looks good from the US. I like it more than the US site, but you misspelled 'programme' and you'll catch flack for the Wunderland link. :o)
Neat to see that your convention will be held in Swindon, as I was stationed at a USAF base just outside Swindon for three years. Stop in the 'Lamb & Flag' or the 'Rifleman' in Swindon or the 'Three Tuns' in Wroughton and hoist a pint or two of ordinary bitter for me. The 'Moonraker' was also good. And don't let them talk you into a couple pints of Scrumpy!
Mike Hughes wrote:

Whoever designed it was using a low-res monitor. The type faces are tiny on this one (1680x1050).
Otherwise does a good job of providing info, layout is straightforward, and no fancy/goofy flash video to distract you.
Oh, I don't like it when alternate/additional scenes parade across the video screen. Take up valuable space. Should be designed as a separate object.
cheers, wolf k.
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:30:30 -0400, Wolf K wrote:

Does Ctrl-+ work for you?
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

Sure, but most web sites have adequately sized fonts. IOW, they were designed with varying monitors in mind.
cheers, wolf k.
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:06:19 -0400, Wolf K wrote:

Well, far be it from me to defend web site designers, for I've seen a lot of bad ones, but with a laptop with a 15.4" 1920x1200 screen, I've gotten used to scaling up the fonts as needed - and still wouldn't swap for lower resolution - It's really nice and sharp even when tiny, and I'm not about to give up 1080P HD equivalent. They can do worse things, for sure.
--
Steve

Not too bad, but yes, the font is too small, and am I missing something? I couldn't see a gallery, or links to members sites.
Shane

The gallery and links to members sites are yet to be added. The tech guys are currently working on the members only section. When that's done we they will be adding more sections including links to other model railway sites.
When that lot is done (apparently there is a lot of work with very little to show at the end) I'm hoping to introduce a Hints and Tips or just a plain 'How To' section which will probably take the form of a forum. I'm trying to get it so that we can allow non members to register then post questions or tips. The hard part is to do this without allowing the spammers to get in - that's why the techs are working so hard.
Is there anything anyone would like to see that you think we should add?
--
Mike Hughes
Marketing Co-ordinator NMRA British Region
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 10:39:18 +0100, Mike Hughes wrote:

Mike, a lot of sites have the bit where a poster has to manually enter an oddly displayed string of letters and numbers. Should be fairly easy to duplicate that code. It does keep the mass posters away. As far as the odd individual who's gone off his meds, that's something we all have to put up with unless you can find a full time moderator.

On 8/15/2009 9:40 AM Larry Blanchard spake thus:

Otherwise known as a "captcha"; see http://www.captcha.net for details.

That's one of the things that we are incorporating which the tech guys tell me is causing part of the problem getting it as safe as possible.

I intend to get a couple of guys as moderators. Very simple rules. If it is in any way dubious it gets deleted. Contentious items will be allowed provide there is no profanity or personal attacks.