Prototype track maps

I would like to model a US scene. The only reference I can find to track maps online seem to refer to rapid transit systems (with the exception of
the Chicago area). I've tried Google Earth and suchlike mapping sites but the resolution (although very good) is not really what I feel I want. So, does anyone know where I can find maps? Is there a US equivalent of the UK Quail maps?
"Graham Harrison" wrote

Try subscribing to alt.models.railroad.ho and asking on there. This is a group for uk modellers.
John.

I'll do that but I hoped that a UK modeller might have already conquered the same issue.
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 20:39:40 +0100, "Graham Harrison"

As usual answering a different question: Iain Rice has published a couple of books of US-image layout plans.
I have: Small, Smart and Practical Track Plans Mid-Sized and Manageable Track Plans
Tim

Sounds wonderful. A quick look at amazon uk - 2nd hand only 51 (yes fifty one pounds!). abebooks is cheaper at 25.24 but I need to get it shipped from massachusets! I'll keep looking for a copy of either/both.

Down to 22.55 in Iowa! Can't find mid-sized and manageable anywhere (yet)!

Any view on any of the following:
The big book of model railroad track plans/Robert Schleicher Track planning for realistic operation/John H Armstrong Basic Model Railroad Track Plans: Small starter layouts/Kalmbach 48 top-notch track plans/Bob Hayden
I can find all of them in one place (saving a little postage) in Seattle.
On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 19:13:48 +0100, "Graham Harrison"

The Armstrong I liked, though it's about what the prototype does and how to model it, rather than a set of plans. The others I don't know: the Hayden and the Schleicher have mixed reviews on Amazon.com. The Kalmbach has good reviews.
Might be worth your while browsing amazon.com for a bit?
Tim

Thanks for that. I find browsing web sites for books unsatisfactory. I either allow myself to be distracted or the books aren't where I think they should be! Constructing a search string usually works but in this case you're probably right. I'll just have to apply a bit of discipline.
Depends on whether you want maps (of a fairly wide area) or track diagrams (of a more limited area). Also whether you're looking for a a 'typical' model arrangement ar a track plan of a real (prototype) location.
Try the US model magazines, e.g., Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman, etc.
Also worth a try: Steam Powered Video (www.spv.co.uk) which does books / magazines as well as DVDs.
If you're serious about US modeling it is worth joining the British Region of the National Model Railroad Association (NMRA). www.nmrabr.org.uk
Allan Sibley