Finders Fee for Selling a Layout?

I finally decided to check on the value of a 22 year old HO gauge layout that was seldom used in that period at a train store. What's a
satisfactory fee for them selling it for me to another individual who might be interested? Value is somewhere between $300 and $500. The guy I'm dealing with is pretty flexible, but what's fair?
On 8/8/2009 10:18 AM W. eWatson spake thus:

I'd say that's extremely hard to judge without seeing the layout, or at least some pictures of it. Can you post some somewhere?

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well, how good a friend is he? He may be willing to do it for a case (or two) of his favourite brew. ;-) That aside, I think a finder's fee should be about 20% of selling price. You may want to agree on a minimum, though (maybe $50), in case you can't realise your estimated value.
I'd like to know how you estimated at the value of the layout, BTW.
HTH wolf k.
Wolf K wrote:

I just met the guy about a week ago. He's been dealing in trains for 20-30 years. We talked over a possible price, and came to the conclusion what a good starting point would be. I had all the original cartons, and the equipment is quite new looking. My wife favors the 20%, and probably I do. She's coming from having some of her late dad's paintings sold. The auctioneers go for 35%. I don't quite agree. In this case, the finder (of a fellow who wants to buy the layout) will have him as a customer, and will benefit for continued sales. However, in the case of an auction, there's unlikely follow up business from the buyer. It's probably something of a minor issue.
One can think of a situation somewhat like this in buying a house. A Realtor gets 6%. However, there's a lot more money involved. Anyway, 20% seems fair. At least, I don't have to go on Ebay, or worry about postage, etc. They potential buyer is about 20 miles from here.
W. eWatson wrote:

Sell it to him, and let him take the risk and margin on resale.
News wrote:

This sounds like something in the category of a story that happened to me. My daughter found a ring that appeared to be a diamond. She took it to a jeweler and he verified it was one. However, she thought she'd try a second one, and I went along with her. This was a very well established shop. The jeweler took a look at it and declared it zirconium, scratches on the surface. She politely said to him another jeweler said otherwise. He responded, "Sell it to him." We all laughed.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I'm not asking anyone to judge them. Maybe That's been done. Maybe I need to be clearer. An intermediate will act on my behalf to sell the layout to a fellow who contacted him about getting started with a HO layout. What should the intermediary get percentage wise?
I'm looking for what a standard fee percent would be. That is, if there is commonly one. See next reply to the one below--Wolf K.
On 8/8/2009 10:44 PM W. eWatson spake thus:

I don't have any particular expertise in this area, but Wolf's 20% seems fair to me based on my gut feeling.

My LHS accepts consignment items. It's the same basic idea, you let the other guy sell it for a percentage of the price.
LHS gets 20% for store credit, 50% for cash.
Puckdropper