Old Infrared Controllers by Catnip Enterprises

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 01:21:55 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@SooLineFan.Net instead replied:

I've been watching the responses to this thread and have a few tips for you.
Realistically, almost any IR repeater will repeat exactly what goes in and faithfully. The only thing you need worry about is the frequency of the IR control bits. What I mean is that there are 3 different frequencies that I know of. Each pulse of light is modulated by a frequency and you must be sure that yours matches the repeater. Some repeaters are smart enough to simply echo the incoming pulses but others need to be matched. So, take your IR with you to an audio/video shop and ask about repeaters. Check Radio Shack or Tandy as well. Failing that, buy a kit. They're available.
Here's a hot tip for you. Your video camera, digital camera or phone camera can all "see" infrared. Go ahead and try it. Leave your camera on, point the remote into the lens and watch the flashes. You'll be able to see what your eye can't. Take that along when you test your remote at the A/V or electronics shop and try to see both at the same time or one at a time. If there's an output, chances are it will work. If you buy on the proviso that it does work, you should be able to return it painlessly should it not work.
I've never had a remote fail yet but use the phone camera to test for weak batteries when the remote starts acting up. It's just plain super geeky and very cool to do. -- Ray

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
Pete