Recommendations - era, location, engines, cars, basic layout ?

Stein R wrote:

Well, if you leave out the mid 90's, the Milwaukee Road might be a consideration for that set of criteria. Although I personally have only a passing interest in the MILW, there seems to be quite a bit of equipment available, as well as a fairly active historical interest. The Soo might be another possibility.
Stevert

Noted. Looks like I will have to have a special look at the Twin Cities and see what I can work out there.
Thank you!
Smile Stein
You might try Kalmbach Publishing's 'The Historical Guide to North American Railroads'. It has short bios and maps of railroads merged or abandoned since 1930.
isbn# 0-89024-072-8
Find something that looks interesting and then do a web search from there.
Eric