reducing power on yard tracks

tex shalter wrote:

Yes, you can, but as stated your question contains insufficient information. Mostly, why do you want to do this, how much do you want them to slow down, etc.? Usually, we use the controller to reduce power. Also, what scale/gauge, etc.
--
wolf k.

Ho scale, I'm looking for automatic slowdowns for unattended viewing without resorting to products by circuitron etc.

tex shalter wrote:

For that purpose, resistors will work, although the slowdown could be quite sudden. You might want to have two or three such slow-down blocks at each end of the slow section. If you want smo-o-o-th slow down and speed up, I'm afraid you will have to invest in more complex circuits, in which case the Circuitron products may look quite attractive. Unless you want to start into a whole new hobby... ;-)
As other posters have pointed out, you would need high wattage resistors, which Radio Shack no longer carries in its smaller stores/franchises.
HTH
--
wolf k.

tex shalter wrote:

DEpendong on how much you need to slow the trains in the section, back to back diodes might be a better fix. Most diodes drop .75 volts each.
On 4/9/2008 8:10 AM Chuck Kimbrough spake thus:

Except that you'd then be limited to going only one directon in the yard.
conversation with the average voter.
David Nebenzahl skriver:

Unless you use more diodes in antiparallel.
transformer track ---o->|-->|-->|-->|-o--- | | | | |-|<--|<--|<--|<-| created by Andys ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta www.tech-chat.de
Klaus
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 12:55:51 GMT, tex shalter wrote:

Blocks? Aww, Lego, you're pulling my leg.
--
Steve

Yes, but isn't that why we have throttles?
-Pete
From: Donut know who wrote what:::!!! ....... beginning of thread is gone!!!
>> Thanks Geezer and Bill.
>> Maybe I'm going about it wrong.- DC system. Locos speed up ( if throttle >> unchanged) when entering switching yard with 5 to 6 foot track blocks.
Are the two blocks -- Main and Yard -- from a different power source? If yes, then the power the train receives could be additive which produces a speedup momentarily as the loco bridges the blocks.
Jim Holland PRCoModels (@) P-R-Co.com
From: Donut know who wrote what:::!!! ....... beginning of thread is gone!!!