Ripples in water surface.

Let me rephrase: The musicians in The Doors were pretty good. It was the front man for whom I didn't care. Had a chance to go hear them at The Scene, I think it was, when they were "up and coming." I told my friends I wasn't too enthused about seeing an ego-tripper dressed in tight leather. Went to The Night Owl instead that evening for The Magicians and The Blues Magoos.

My biggest rock jolt was The Kinks "You Really Got Me." To me,

*the* prototypical punk rock song. There'd never been anything like it up to then. Hendrix wasn't so much a jolt as he was a jaw-dropper for me.

Biggest jazz ear-opener was at Carnegie Recital Hall to hear Pizzarelli and Barnes, Bucky and George. I'd no idea that two guitars could do anything like what those guys did, and they made it look so easy!

Thanks for the heads ups on some accessible Bartok. Might be time to revisit, it's been many years.

Tejas Pedro

"What, me worry? I voted for Kinky!"

Reply to
Random Excess

Kenny G walks onto an elevator and says: "Man, this place is swingin'!"

Tejas Pedro

"What, me worry? I voted for Kinky!'

Reply to
Random Excess

Have you heard the song by Richard Thompson, one of my candidates for guitar god, that starts (on a variant of the tune of Humoresque)

"I agree with Pat Metheny Kenny's talent is too teeny . . ." ?

A great rant.

Reply to
Steve Caple

I've not heard that particular RT piece but he's so much more than just a candidate for "Guitar God." He may well be one!

Metheny's rant is classic BTW, and available over the net last time I looked. Legitimate too, I might add, although, oddly, I can tolerate kg's unmistakably feeble attempts at music on the rare occassions that I'm riding in an elevator. Go figure.

Tejas Pedro

"What, me worry? I voted for Kinky!"

Reply to
Random Excess

Forgive me for joining this, but you've stirred another interest of mine, apart from trains.

Hmmm. Jazz. Not on my wavelength, despite concerted efforts from a lot of my friends. The only thing I can say I liked was Kenny Ball's "Midnight in Moscow", so I'll leave that one. :) Oh, and Brubecks "Unsquare Dance".

Bach (JS, JC, CPE, et al) are prime modelling music. I have it on when I'm at the workbech - although I sometimes find that an hour or so later I havent actually modelled anything, just closed my eyes and been transported. Ditto Telleman, Vivaldi and others of the period.

Mozart I think I should like more than I actually do. Excepting his four main operas (five if you include Seraglio), his later symphonies and a few of his piano concertos, I am reminded too much of Dresden china - beautiful to look at, far too fragile to touch. Of that era, I prefer Papa Hayden, to who we all owe a great debt.

Marvellous how the great Romantics were glossed over here. Ludwig VB gets a mention with a passing reference to Brahms. (Like 'em both) Put me down for Mahler and Bruckner as well. And then we move to my favourites, masters of another genre that has been overlooked here - Opera! List me as a WagnerVerdiophile! Admittedly, life is taken into ones hand with Wagner, if you also happen to have an Exacto in hand as well. And I know, in the heart of my hearts and the sanctity of the train room, that Melchior, Windgassen, Di Stefano, Gigli, Bergonzi etc etc are just not in my vocal class - I have forged many Notungs, summoned many armies .... :-)

Oddly though, if I have to name a favouite that I can actually listen to with out being totally distracted from modelling, I would have to name Ottorino Respighi. At least I can brace myself for Gabriel in Church Windows.

And here I reveal a shameful secret. In my car, in the MP3 player, is a disc not for anybody else to hear. Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, Ronny and the Daytonas, Ripcords, Astronauts, Ventures, Dick Dale, Bruce and Terry ... I'm only 3 years behind you, Steve :)

I'll leave the US politics to you. We have our own, um, "leader", to deal with. I think upon John Howard and I realise that, somewhere in this world, a village is short one idiot.:)

Steve Magee Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve

Don't forget PDQ . . . I've been meaning to have another listen to Oedipus Tex.

I do database design and programming, and for debugging I really like Phillip Glass' "Akhnaten" - some really great moments of singing in it, too.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Steve Caple spake thus:

If you like that "minimalist" stuff, try out Steve Reich's /The Desert Music/, which is also a large-scale choral/orchestral work.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Not _that_ minimalist!

Not _that_ minimalist.

Not that minimalist?

Not _THAT_ minimalist!

Not _that_ minimalist!

Reply to
Steve Caple

Steve Caple spake thus:

That reminds me of the best description I've heard of Philip Glass' so-called music: "nasal retentive".

Reply to
David Nebenzahl