Ripples in water surface.

Steve Caple wrote:

Forgive me for joining this, but you've stirred another interest of mine, apart from trains.
Hmmm. Jazz. Not on my wavelength, despite concerted efforts from a lot of my friends. The only thing I can say I liked was Kenny Ball's "Midnight in Moscow", so I'll leave that one. :) Oh, and Brubecks "Unsquare Dance".

Bach (JS, JC, CPE, et al) are prime modelling music. I have it on when I'm at the workbech - although I sometimes find that an hour or so later I havent actually modelled anything, just closed my eyes and been transported. Ditto Telleman, Vivaldi and others of the period.
Mozart I think I should like more than I actually do. Excepting his four main operas (five if you include Seraglio), his later symphonies and a few of his piano concertos, I am reminded too much of Dresden china - beautiful to look at, far too fragile to touch. Of that era, I prefer Papa Hayden, to who we all owe a great debt.
Marvellous how the great Romantics were glossed over here. Ludwig VB gets a mention with a passing reference to Brahms. (Like 'em both) Put me down for Mahler and Bruckner as well. And then we move to my favourites, masters of another genre that has been overlooked here - Opera! List me as a WagnerVerdiophile! Admittedly, life is taken into ones hand with Wagner, if you also happen to have an Exacto in hand as well. And I know, in the heart of my hearts and the sanctity of the train room, that Melchior, Windgassen, Di Stefano, Gigli, Bergonzi etc etc are just not in my vocal class - I have forged many Notungs, summoned many armies .... :-)
Oddly though, if I have to name a favouite that I can actually listen to with out being totally distracted from modelling, I would have to name Ottorino Respighi. At least I can brace myself for Gabriel in Church Windows.

And here I reveal a shameful secret. In my car, in the MP3 player, is a disc not for anybody else to hear. Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, Ronny and the Daytonas, Ripcords, Astronauts, Ventures, Dick Dale, Bruce and Terry ... I'm only 3 years behind you, Steve :)

I'll leave the US politics to you. We have our own, um, "leader", to deal with. I think upon John Howard and I realise that, somewhere in this world, a village is short one idiot.:)

Steve Magee Newcastle NSW Aust
On 7 Nov 2006 19:57:42 -0800, Steve wrote:

Don't forget PDQ . . . I've been meaning to have another listen to Oedipus Tex.
I do database design and programming, and for debugging I really like Phillip Glass' "Akhnaten" - some really great moments of singing in it, too.
--
Steve

Steve Caple spake thus:

If you like that "minimalist" stuff, try out Steve Reich's /The Desert Music/, which is also a large-scale choral/orchestral work.
On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 10:22:15 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Not _that_ minimalist!
Not _that_ minimalist.
Not that minimalist?
Not _THAT_ minimalist!
Not _that_ minimalist!
--
Steve

Who used to zone out on the schoolbus windshield wipers going in and out of
Steve Caple spake thus:

That reminds me of the best description I've heard of Philip Glass' so-called music: "nasal retentive".

Wierd names? Like the Mannheim Steamroller?
Fantastic music, if you haven't heard them.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

It is always amazing how the subject gets of message. I want to thank the guys who helped with my question..............youse other guys....get a life!!!! HZ
Howard Zane wrote:

I've heard on good authority that a hair dryer can be used for this effect, but I've not yet tried it. Pour the gel, use the dryer to "shape" - and dry? - the "ripples"?
Steve Magee
Howard, All the replies are good but where the modeling technique comes in is not making any bubbles!