Rivarossi Heisler?

Thanks for the response! Mine takes an incredible amount of throttle before it even moves. It actually runs better without the rubber tube connected flywheel! I will take a look at the axle gear problems. I would like to make it run a little smoother. As I said before, I will likely really decorate this one and use it as a "tourist trap" kind of train on the layout. I don't want to complain too much. I only paid $15 for the kit!

I can't wait for a real Climax! Also, I think I may pick up one of the newer heislers. Mine was before DCC and before the good couplers (mine WERE truck mounted).

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

That little tube connecting the flywheel can also cause problems, it's neoprene, or mine is, and seems to be just a little too stiff to do what it's supposed to do. If the flywheel/motor axis isn't almost perfect, it doen't want to turn freely. A little bit of 400 grit polishing on the flywheel bearing surfaces doesn't hurt either, but as I said before, making a new, heavier flywheel that's concentric would help a lot. Don't remember if the bearing surfaces are polished or not, or even machined, but I can't see anyone making a casting that wouldn't need to be machined. Possibly using silicon surgical tubing for a coupling would help, it's more flexible. (Although I don't know if the size needed is available, but it probably is.) The problems with the runout in the worm/gears on the axles, there's only one cure for that, and the idea of cutting a new set of worms and gears, while I can do it, doesn't appeal. Possible that just moving the worm shaft away from the axles a couple of thousandths might do it too, I don't know without trying. (But that would be too easy and there isn't any undo button if it doesn't work.) I seem to remember also, that I had to shim the motor up a bit to get the pitch line engagement where it should be, but with spur cut gears, it's still noisy. (Actually spur molded, and where the involute and pressure angle are, God only knows and He ain't saying.)

Greybeard.

Reply to
Greybeard

Yes. I had to shim mine as well. It is still noisy. The plastic gears inside of that plastic gearbox needed some TLC also. There were a few teeth with burrs and the sides of the gears, along with the inside of the plastic housing, had some casting marks that increased friction and caused a little binding. I will have to take a close look at the gears on the trucks. Unfortunately, I am not able to cut new gears.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Being able to does not have to equate to being willing to. It would be an absolute last resort. My best guess is that it would be between six and eight hours to cut the four worm/gear sets which puts it somewhere in the realm of not really worth it. My next best guess is that I'll polish the worms up a little and live with it.

Greybeard.

Reply to
Greybeard

Aside from making an awful amount of noise, the things don't run too badly. A set of NWSL gears (made for the purpose) makes an improvement, but they're still noisy.

And, as you say, an HO Climax it ISN'T!!

If you want a "might have been" fantasy loco for a freelance logging railroad, it is likely a good alternative to more expensive (but more realistic) models.

And, as I mentioned, something closer to a Class A Climax could be made from one in Sn3 or On30", but it would be a lot of work to do well.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

NWSL makes a whole set of gears to improve this model. They last a lot longer, and make a bit less noise.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

While my opinion of the MDC "Climax" is now a matter of record, I should add that it's supposed to be a VERY different machine from the new Bachmann Climax.

The Bachmann model represents a Class "B" (2-truck, side cylinders) Climax. The MDC is supposed to be a Class "A" (2-truck, centerline engine) machine. Climax made both types, and they looked VERY different. So, assuming you could cobble the MDC effort into something more presentable, there could be reason to have both.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

I didn't know that. I have searched the internet and not found any. Is it listed as being for the Climax or is it listed as being for a MDC diesel?

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

IT doesn't look too bad as it is with a train of longer logging cars, as long as it isn't near any other loco that's even halfway in scale. I'm thinking it might look ok working a rather large landing, with an A frame rather than a jammer or Barnhardt type loader. Might have to look for a while to find a prototype, but with logging operations as they still are, there's a better chance that one exists than there is that it won't.

Did some more work on mine today, new flywheel out of copper tungsten, (for weight), clean, lube and polish, got it down to 1 inch per minute now, level track, el-cheapo Atlas power, no load, but it held the speed for ten minutes. Think I'll quit before I screw it up.

Greybeard.

Reply to
Greybeard