ROCO BR17

Hi All,

This is my first post so please forgive me if I have it wrong here.

I have a Roco BR17 digital Steam Engine lights turn on and it has a steam generator which is real nice, I was wondering if anyone knew if I could fit a sound module to this engine and if I can what module will be the most fitting to this type of train in terms realism and sound, I was told by the dealer that it was not possible due to not having a location suitable for a loudspeaker, I have solved this issue by finding a speaker that fits under the main cab and is not visible which is cool, now just the sound chip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seasons Greetings from Austria.

Reply to
JimTheDj65

Jim ? I'm not too familiar with European types of locos. Is it a tender loco, or is the tender separate ? Also what scale is it ? I assume H0.

If it is a loco with separate tender and H0, you should have plenty of room for the sound decoder and for the speaker. Or, if the loco has tender drive, that might be a problem.

You might still be able to squeeze a decoder/speaker somewhere in the loco. You can get speakers which are quite small. But any speaker should be enclosed in an air tight sound box for good sound quality. Also, bigger the soundbox the better the sound. The box can be anbything (even the tender body itself). As long as the front of the speaker cone is isolated from the rear, it will work well. I was able to fit a Soundtraxx Sound-only decoder and a small speaker in a tender of my friends N scale Challenger locomotive. I used sound-only decoder because the loco already had a DCC decoder installed in the locomotive. Both decoders are independent (set to the same address). It works quite well and it is very impressive to see an N scale steam loco with sound !

So, if your loco is H0, I think you can find a way to install a sound decoder and a speaker in it.

My friend got the decoder and speaker from

They have a good variety of small speakers available.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.