Slightly OT: Most important train locomotives

I'm not sure, Bill. Two of the 1931 Sulzers wound up on the isolated Maeklong line. The Frichs locos were used on the Bangkok - Singapore International Express. Other than that, I don't know.

Again, I don't know. Google Australia seems to down at the moment...

The + indicates an articulated joint, the - indicates the speartion between bogies or trucks of one engine unit or articulated section.

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Mark Newton spake thus:

"Buckleys"? Now *that's* a term I've never hoid before. Translation, pleeze.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Prussian designs of steam locos often ran into thousands produced, and often replicas were sold across Europe and the ME. (in addition to being taken as reparations after two world wars. Ditto the German Kreigsloks of WWII. Russian steam locomotives also were built in huge numbers, over 10,000 for at least one type.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

The "+" indicates two locomotives joined permanently, often with major components like transformers or train heating boilers placed in only one half. (example; SBB Ae 8/8 Bo'Bo'+Bo'Bo' might be two Bo'Bo's permanently coupled together, both controlled from a single cab at either end) The "-" where the "+" might have been would indicate a full length frame over two or more main frames. (example SBB Ce 6/8 1'C'-C 1'' where a single body frame sits on two 1'C swivelling frames or bogies)

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter spake thus:

Well, folks, welcome to Usenet, where the "facts" are pretty much whatever you want to make them. On the one hand, we have a previous poster (M. Newton) who tells us:

The + > The "+" indicates two locomotives joined permanently, often with major

Take your pick.

The moral of the story: something about "very large grains of salt" ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Both descriptions are basically saying the same things.

There is the complication of differing methods of notation from different countries - the US system tends to count wheels, the Germanic system adds +, -, ', etc which gives further information.

There are numerous variations of locomotive articulation and design, some of which are difficult to categorize. Take for example several different European 2-6-0 steam locomotives, one type which had an additional carrying axle added between the second and third driving axles to reduce weight and another class which was built that way. Another loco (Pfalz) was of the 4-4-2 type but had a booster axle in the center of the front bogie which was jacked down for additional traction

- try categorizing those.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter spake thus:

Sure: it's a 4(*6)-4-2, where "*" means "sometimes". Everyone knows that!

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I knew that =8^)>

It can't be a (*6) because in the booster position it's a (*2-2-2) or

1a1' bogie. 2(a)'B 1'.
Reply to
Greg Procter

On Mon, 21 May 2007 11:17:11 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

It's an Oz saying. Idiomatic.

's.html-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ray Haddad spake thus:

OK, equivalent to AmE. "bupkis".

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Ray Haddad spake thus:

OMG; that led me to another Oz-ism, "furphy". How many terms like this, named after mythical persons, do y'all have down there?

"Furphy" reminds me of the carryings-on of that venerable American "organization", E Clampus Vitus, aka "the Clampers":

David Nebenzahl

On Mon, 21 May 2007 17:22:18 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

Those little nuggets turn up frequently here.

Yes, indeed. There's a lot of that going around here. What we need is a monument to trolls who by dint create the furphies here.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Now *that's* a term I've never hoid before.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter spake thus:

American English, from Yiddish "bubkes". Actually commonly misused, as it originally meant "nonsense" but is mostly used to mean "nothing", as in "I went to visit that guy Greg who said he was giving away a bunch of model RR stuff, but I came away with nothing, nada, zip, zilch, bupkis".

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You've got two chances, Buckley's, and none. Believed to be derived from the famous Melbourne emporium Buckley & Nunn's. But don't take my word for it, at least not without a large grain of salt.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Mark Newton spake thus:

Ah, yes, In Texas I'm told they say, "Well, your chances are slim to none, and Slim just left town ...".

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Both Greg and I have given the same answer. Either we haven't made our explanations clear enough, or you can't understand a simple engineering concept. The SBB Ae8/8 *is* an articulated loco. Neither half can run independently of the other. But don't take my word for it, at least not without a large grain of salt.

Another moral might be: Try to read for comprehension before making snide remarks. Or maybe do a bit of your own reading, and see for yourself that we are both correct. But don't take my word for it, at least not without a large grain of salt.

Reply to
Mark Newton

First, a huge thank you to all that have provided input. Good stuff. Thanks. Now as several people have mentioned, my specifications (10 most historically important make/model locomotives) were too vague. Sorry. And while 10 slots are clearly not enough to cover all the historically important locomotives, that is all that I have room for. So, maybe I am asking the wrong question. And I did not focus enough attention on the presentation aspect of the data. With all that in mind, I need to change the requirements just a little bit and ask you to review your input and send an update. Since this will need to end up as a graphical representation... What are 5 cool looking types/models/makes of STEAM locomotives that have some level of historical significance/importance/renown/ famousness (and please explain the significance if you can) [Please only recommend locomotives for which pictures (or at least drawings) are available]?

  1. [I realize that again "cool" is a bit vague. I apologize in advance. I guess that by "cool" I mean visually interesting/unique/impressive but feel free to use your best judgement to recommend trains that you think are cool looking and that have some historical significance.]

What are 3 cool looking types/models/makes of DIESEL locomotives that have some level of historical significance/importance/renown/ famousness (and please explain the significance if you can) [Please only recommend locomotives for which pictures (or at least drawings) are available]?

  1. What are 3 cool looking types/models/makes of electric/hydraulic/ magnetic locomotives that have some level of historical significance/ importance/renown/famousness (and please explain the significance if you can) [Please only recommend locomotives for which pictures (or at least drawings) are available]?

  1. Not necessarily looking for specific named instances of a locomotive, but rather the types/models/makes (although you may feel free to add a locomotive to the list because it looks cool and there is a famous instance of it or there was only one ever made [probably most appropriate for the steam locomotives]).

Thank you again for your assistance.

Reply to
WisdomSeeker

On Mon, 21 May 2007 19:01:11 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

. . . with a nun named Sister Mary Elephant.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Dave's not here, man.