UP, New Thread and the obvious solution

searn wrote:

You right wing chickenhawk corporate crook brown-noses are so predictably pretentious.
--
Steve Caple

Add pictures here
✖

Oh great, another rightwing asshole posts his opinion.
Add pictures here
✖

I thought libs were in favor of free speech. Oh my, what a shock to find out otherwise! Oh well, back to robbing from the poor....
Add pictures here
✖

Moron, you can say what you like as can I. You are such a pathetic twit.
Add pictures here
✖

Honestly, please tell us how you really feel.
--
Rev. St. Klyf "Not Max Cannon" Sēģ-M257 the Not-Quite-Sane
Remove 'TURNIP' from address when replying.

Except for political correctness. <G> That's probably the one thing that kept me from going to university. I'd have been in trouble in less than a week. I decided a long time I'd rather be taught how to think than what to think.
Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"
Add pictures here
✖
JCunington wrote:

Like there aren't any "political correctness" tests by right wingers and ayatollhoids!
--
Steve Caple

Add pictures here
✖

kept
week. I

think.
Of course there are, but it seems to me that the majority of Liberal Arts and soft science professors are "liberal" in all but allowing free thought. I don't think there is a quicker way to flunk out of a psych course than to question the Freud/Jung doctrine. Would you really try to fix a computer by randomly applying 600 volt shocks to it?
John H.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:41:42 GMT, Steve Caple

Typo or not, that's pretty funny...
Jeff Sc. Holy Balloon, Ga.
Add pictures here
✖

Actually, to me it was. We got a thing in the e-mail last week from the conservative Catholic home-schoolers' newsletter. A mother relates how her child couldn't understand how missionaries became saints, since missionaries were bad because they "destroyed native culture", etc. The kid was quite confused by what he'd learned at (public) school. This was one more reason for this particular mother to home-school.
Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"
Add pictures here
✖
JCunington wrote:

Yep. Don't confuse the child with anything that might call into question what he learned at St. Fondler's.
--
Steve Caple

Add pictures here
✖

That is a pretty broad brush you're painting with there, but maybe deserved. Also a red herring. I was pointing out how missionaries "destroyed native culture" and you're going off on the pedophiles.
We do have some in the group that say we shouldn't question the bishops. My wife and I are like, "well that's how they've gotten away with it for so long!" Not to their faces of course. They're TOO conservative and couldn't see reason on that subject if it walked up and slapped them.
Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"
Add pictures here
✖
JCunington wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstood.
Do you disagree that Father Serra and his cohorts didn't exactly make life better for the natives they had working on the missions, or is it that any loss of freedom was outweighed by saving their immortal souls?
The former is a question for historians*; if you believe the latter, there's an ayatollah I want you to meet <g>.
* There seems to a pretty good argument that native labor was "recruited" much as African and Arab slave traders "recruited" slaves, and the labor conditions and food were miserable. I don't hold that smallpox was intentionally passed to the Pomo's and other tribes, but it certainly came to them along with the dubious benefits of forced conversion (something the Spanish had a long history of) and relocation to forced labor camps (they weren't free to leave).
Please don't read any specifically anti-Roman Catholic bias into my remarks; protestants, mohammedans, and lots of other groups of folks who happened to agree on a received answer to the mysteries of life have long seen fit to coerce others to believe as they do, and to burn, hang, decapitate or otherwise dispose of those who persist in following their own beliefs (or lack of same). I'm not sure if even the Bahai's (many of whom were hanged by the ayatollahs when they took over Iran) may not at some time have sought to coerce "unbelievers", although I'd be surprised if they did. But they're one of a distinct minority of beliefs that may not have a history of witch and heretic burning.
The "Kill 'Em All and Let God Sort 'Em Out" idiot mentality is the stuff of which Osamas are made. It's a Cistercian bishop we have to thank for that one:
"Tuez-les tous; Dieu reconnaitra les siens." ("Kill them all; God will know his own.") - Arnaud-Amaury, Abbot of Citeaux and Papal Legate, 1209, at the Siege of Beziers, a town about evenly split between "good" Catholics and those evil heretic Cathars [shudder!] in the Albigensian "Crusade"; when asked by one of his sub-commanders what to do with the citizens of the town.
--
Steve Caple

Add pictures here
✖

I bet you were a product of the Fondler. That explains your fixation on Wanky. If you email him directly he might let you cum over. Jerry
Add pictures here
✖

missionaries
for
I think that that shows great insight on the part of the young person.
More wars have been started in the name of religion than any other factor and don't forget it was the church that was behind the Spanish Inquisition.
--
Will
HO - Credit Valley Railway

I'm not sure if most mediaeval wars were inter-religious or inter-dynastic (often brother v. brother, cousin v. cousin). Sometimes both I'm sure.

Was? Still is, although it's called something else now, and it's at the Vatican, not Spain. The Spanish got off on torturing Jews because the Jews had been so cushy with the Moors, recently (then) having been kicked out of Spain.
snipped-for-privacy@CreditValley.Railway wrote:
> More wars have been started in the name of religion than any other > factor and don't forget it was the church that was behind the Spanish > Inquisition.
No-one expects the Spanish Inquistion!
Add pictures here
✖

Our chief weapon is surprise; fear and surprise. Two chief weapons, fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency! Er. Among our chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and near fanatical devotion to the Pope! Wait, I'll come in again...
Add pictures here
✖
Dunter Powries wrote:

I spent a large part of Sunday in The Comfy Chair.
--
Steve Caple

Add pictures here
✖
<<The kid was quite confused by what he'd learned at (public) school. This was one more reason for this particular mother to home-school.>>
We send our kids to private school now. While others are learning gobbely-gook, our kids are learning math and science. Some day more parents will wake up and take back local control of their schools.
Kent in SD
Add pictures here
✖