UP, New Thread and the obvious solution

I am betting on JRsTrains...

--Joseph

Reply to
Joseph Ferris

not.fishplate wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

John Epperson. Did you really wonder? If he really did go to college in Kansas (or anywhere else for that matter), he appears to have a very good case for demanding a refund.

Reply to
Ed M. Davis

Absolutely, and besides, I notice you at least have a brain about the UP situation. Go Jayhawks. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Judging by the content, writing style, grammar usage and a number of other factors, kujayhawker bears a striking resemblance to John Epperson. It is almost as if they are the same person. Oh yes, I have also noticed that Epperson has been strangely absent since 29 December as well. He must be quite busy coordinating all his lawsuits against those stalkers who were giving him so much trouble during that time.

Captain Handbrake

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

Really, how about that. No, matter of fact I thought he was in Oklahoma City. That is just a little distance from Kansas City. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Yeah, right. We believe ya "Jerry", Honest, we really do.

Captain Handbrake

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

If you put his NNTP-Posting Host of 68.97.144.123 in the IP Mapper at

it comes up as Yukon, OK.

--Joseph

Reply to
Joseph Ferris

It shows me in San Jose, CA. Close but, no cigar.

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

And my cable ipaddr shows San Francisco,CA ... less close.

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

It is not perfect, granted. But, if you don't mind me asking, how far off is it? Both my cable modem IP address and my NNTP-Posting Host are less then thirty miles away (still within the right metropolitan area). Yukon, OK from Kansas City, KS is almost 350 miles, though.

--Joseph

Reply to
Joseph Ferris

The machine that is hooked up to the cable and DSL lines is in Northern CA. Right now this very instant (while I am posting htis message) I am also in Northern CA --*BUT*-- not physically at that location or any of the locations listed in the ipaddr tracker. I have, on occasion, posted to (or at least followed) this group while I was physically in MN, CO, NV, OR, WI, AZ and probably some other states and all of those posts would have shown the cable news provider.

Yes, I own and frequent the address where the machine is located but, a post from that machine via the cable news server is no quarantee of where I iactually was when I made a particular post.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Roger,

That IOC incident took awhile to track down; here is what I found,

snipped-for-privacy@stor.html A king is merely a mortal? (London

1908) The Parade of Flags was introduced at the IVth Olympic Games, London 1908, and King Edward VII himself was the Head of State to whom all flags were dipped in salute as the athletes marched in. That is, all flags except the flag of the USA. To the fury of King Edward, the USA shot-putter Ralph Rose refused to pay him respect by dipping the Stars & Stripes.

One reason given for this is that the flag of the United States is lowered for no mortal man. And after all, a king is merely a mortal! And that to this day, the Stars & Stripes is the only flag that is not dipped when the Head of State is saluted during the Parade of Flags. However, poetic as this explanation may be, it's not clear whether such a rule for the USA flag existed in 1908. The rule is part of the first USA Flag Code, but that Flag Code wasn't drawn up until 1923. On the other hand, in the early 20th century, veterans of the Union Army in the American Civil War waged a campaign against what they considered indignities to the Stars & Stripes, and the rule against dipping the American flag may have originated from that campaign.

Another possible explanation lies in the fact that the London organization, when decorating the stadium, forgot to display the flags of Sweden and the United States. The Swedish team in turn did not take part in the Parade of Flags; the USA team did take part in the parade, but they got even and made sure their flag was clearly visible this time: They refused to dip it in salute to the king.

The truth, as happens so often, may be a combination of both. However, quite surprisingly, on a photograph taken in London when the parade of flags had finished, all teams can be seen greeting the royal family with their flags. Even though the photograph is in black & white the dipped American flag can be made out quite clearly. Of course, this does not tell us what happened in the course of the parade, but it does show that during London 1908 there was at least one occasion where the flag bearer did indeed dip the Stars & Stripes.

And this is basically why the American flag is never dipped for a General, the President, or any other dignitary when used as part of a military ceremony. The American flag represents the country itself and therefore is above any one person who may represent any part of the government or agency.

I am going to assume that you were referring to England on the Olympic issue. I am going to simplify my thoughts and say that most Britons think of their country as well as their Queen and royal family as "England." Basically it believes that the country and royal family represent one in the same idea. England is the Queen/King and the Queen/King is England. The Royal family has a Queen or King that serves for life. Since the Queen or King rates as high or higher than the flag, the flag is dipped in respect of their authority. As it is in most countries. It may not be possible to determine all the possible scenarios for ceremonial dipping of one countries colors. there are far too many countries. But I do believe that the German flag is NOT dipped for the Chancellor during a parade or pass and review much like our country. But I may be wrong here.

Our President is selected from the general population and serves for a limited time at which point we elect a new representative (or so was the original intent). The design was to keep any one individual from amassing omnipotent powers and the potential abuses that power brings (again by the original intent). Therefore, the country (and the symbolic flag) is above the current ruler and special homage should not be made. Again, please note that this is an extreme oversimplification of otherwise complex issues and feelings.

Finally, to this day, England and the United States are taking "pot shots" at one another. It's nothing new, it has been going on ever since we had the audacity to break away from the mother country.

Art

Reply to
Art Marsh

Somewhat atypical Paul. Most people post from home and/or the office. Only a very few have mobile posting capability. History will show that all the various aliases have the same origin It is astonishingly coincidental that kujayhawker, who lives over three hundred miles away, has the same isp as Epperson.

He also has the same working vocabulary, the same sentence construction technique and the same aggressive, confrontational attitude. All in all an amazing set of coincidences for two completely different people living so far apart.

Captain Handbrake Profiler, TX

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

LOL! Is Epperson as big a perv as Jeery?

Reply to
Mark Newton

Newhouse)

Lots of straws eventually make a bail.

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Paul Newhouse - Comcast gateway and using Earthlink (west) for NNTP service.

Art Marsh - Earthlink gateway and Earthlink (west) for NNTP service.

Jerry - Posting through Google.com gateway which uses Giganews NNTP service

Captain Handbrake - Earthlink (Atlanta) gateway and using Earthlink (east or atlanta) for NNTP service

Mark Newton - optusnet.com (Australia) gateway and using optusnet.com for NNTP service.

Also it would appear that Earthlink is the primary host for rec.models.railroad.

Since Jerry is using Googlenews he could be anywhere in the US states served by that NNTP server in Oklahoma. The path between Jerry's NNTP server and mine leaves Oklahoma, goes first to Syracuse, NY and then to the west coast Earthlink servers. Jerry is using a web based free newsgroup provider.

You will always be limited to searching up to, but not beyond, the individual NNTP server used. All further trace routes are protected behind a DMZ (firewall). NNTP servers may or may not be co-located with your ISP servers. As you can see by Paul's pathway, Paul uses Comcast for his ISP and Comcast has contracted with Earthlink to provide News services to Comcast customers in this area.

Art

Reply to
Art Marsh

Please don't just hit the reply key. Remove the obvious from the address to reply.

*************************************************************************** "Paul Newhouse" wrote:

MANY SNIPS

And sometimes a bale, too!

-- Jim McLaughlin

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

What gateway an I using now?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

HAH!!! BUT I spell checked it!!!!!!!! *8->

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Spell checked. LOL. That's so true. Never ceases to amaze what correctly spelled words will pass a spell check, yet be the totally wrong word for the intended useage.

There was a paragraph demonstrating that which used to run around on Usenet. T'was a truly funny paragraph.

I hope you don't mind a little at your post.

-- Jim McLaughlin