Very special web site out of shape

You have our sympathy.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Actually, writing a web page in standard MTML/XTML, and ignoring MS's non-standrad version, will make it readable by everybody's browser's -- even IE.

Oh, and the MS's spin on "people will reexamine why they chose IE in the first place ..." People don't choose IE - it comes with the Windows box. If Windows were a true OS, instead of the OS + applications spaghetti bowl it has become, people might chooe IE on its merits - but then again they might not. That's what Willy Wallhole is afraid of.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Why not design to W3C standards, and get 100% compliance? What do they get for all their flash and glitz that couldn't be delivered wth Apache and Perl?

Reply to
Cheery Littlebottom

Wolf, IE would have to HAVE merits. I work in an almost totally Windows environment, and NO ONE speaks well of IE (or Office for that matter).

If Steve Jobs were smart, he'd port OS X to the Intel platform. Apple Computer sale would plummet, but MicroSloth would be out of business, and Steve would be hailed as a conquering hero.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Microsoft and the tech schools churn out web programmers who know little beyond Front Page. Once they have their diploma, they figure they don't need to know anything else, because no one said anything about it in the boiler room class.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Brian, your irony detector was switched off.... :-)

Interesting notion. OS-X is a Unix, isn't it?

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

You don't have to do anything special if you use standard HTML.

It takes no more effort to design a web page that 100% of your users can see than it does to design one that 5-10% can't. Which makes more business sense?

Then again, if the "professional" web designer only knows how to use Front Page and has never actually written HTML code, it might be faster to do it the M$ way...

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

And 95% of users browsing with IE are spending 50% of the time closing unwanted pop-up windows.

Mozilla or it's stand alone browser Firefox, are worth using simply for the fact that Pop-ups are eliminated.

And, the price for a Mozilla or Firefox download is Free.

I switched to Mozilla, and I love it. At work, if I have to use IE, I quickly get itchy fingers and download Mozilla onto the work machines.

Try it, you will like it. Arnie Morscher

Train pictures at:

Arnold Morscher

Or to the AMD-64 variant of the same

Reply to
Steve Caple

Gee, I guess it's reciprocal, if you're using IE you have mine. And if you believe in St Bill (thanks Wolf, for "Willy Walhole" ) you have a mixture of sympathy and pity.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Has that been released yet? Cherry OS or something like that?

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Reply to
Billm10454

... it sounds like you do not know that Internet Explorer blocks pop-up windows.

On the Tools menu, point to Pop-up Blocker, and then click Pop-up Blocker Settings.

(What else don't you know about IE that you'd like to share?)

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Hey... I got my source off the internet... from this ng... from this thread... (once again

thought IE only had around 80% but isn't the web only filled with hard facts? In the end it's up to the client, if they want to pay the money for multi browser compatibility or cut costs for a specific browser market. Set the pro's and cons out there, make your reccomendations and then do what the customer wants. :-)

You d>

Reply to
J Barnstorf

Absolutely right. Conversly if you are ok with IE only browsers, why not use some of the bells and whistles of IE?

Yep. Got us by the short and curlies. Ain't the marketplace a wonderful place of friendly and benevolent souls? Softwood or beef anybody? :-) Seems like monopolies are like little dictatorships eh?

Jb

Reply to
J Barnstorf

yep very strong opions, and mostly kept to myself (:-o Would have told the retailer the consequences development cost & loss of audience at the design phase. Would have done so more than once and gotten a signoff. If a client comes to you and says they have an MS platform running IE and I want you to develop a fancy shmancy web site you going to force them to jump platforms? Mabye they'll bite, maybe not...

Jb

Reply to
J Barnstorf

I'm still using AmigaOS.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Have to confess I've never programmed in Front page. Opened it, had a look around and never went back. I kinda like .NET. Reminds me of doing real programming again before I got into ASP (which I rather dislike, but it was a job). I miss C++ and MFC (somewhat) but I've sold my soul to the VB.NET fold. Not perfect but beats DLL hell (so far).

I'd have to know what you mean by HTML code before I could make a comment. If you're talking just web content without database connectivity then there's no comparison. That's not code, it's just script. Give me strong typing, classes, inheratence yada yada yada...

JB

Reply to
J Barnstorf

Design to W3C standards and be 100% compliant? How much extra is that?

Reply to
Cheery Littlebottom

I'm also using IE6. I just tried it again with IE6, and initially I got the same blank boxes, but after waiting for a short time (~ 10 seconds or so) it worked. It looks like it's just a bit hit and miss, or else dreadfully slow.

With Firefox, I still get none of the product data.

Ron

Reply to
RonMcF