Why is called HO?

And don't forget another german letter: ß = ss.

But use those only for german words or names. Not for any nordic languages like finnish (or swedish?). Never insult us finns by using german replacements for letters ä and ö in finnish names or words. Finnish word "hä" and "hae" sound different and have totally different meaning. Hä = what? (an unofficial but common dialect form) Hae = fetch!

If You can not use proper letters to print for example Mika Häkkinen's last name (The F1 Champion 1998 and 1999) then write like he wants it to be written internationally: Hakkinen.

NEVER!!! Haekkinen. That would be wrong. Totally wrong.

mie

Don't we love Windows!

Reply to
Greg Procter

The problem with that is that you've changed the spelling of their name, rather like spelling "Jones" as "Jons" or "Procter" as "Proctr".

Regards, Greg.Procter.

Reply to
Greg Procter

You have just distorted the spelling! Try missing the "e"s out of your surname to see what I mean.

Also, try searching for "Maerklin" and "Märklin" on Ebay - you'll get even more choice.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"ä" becomes "ae" in English.

Reply to
Greg Procter

9mm x 160 = 1440mm compared to 1435mm for standard gauge. 9mm x 152.4 (UK) = 1372mm (63mm narrow) 9mm x 150 (Japan) =1350mm compared to 1067mm (287mm wide)
Reply to
Greg Procter

Many of us try to pronounce names correctly so as not to cause offense to the name holder - others of us don't care whether we insult others or not.

Reply to
Greg Procter

That would be the Spanish influence.

I missed out the gauge bit (Duhh) but that was what I intended to say.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Sure, but if we'd stopped at that point we would have deprived everyone of hours of fun!

Reply to
Greg Procter

There's no need to apologise to David Nobonzahl!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Why would anyone consider US O gauge? What 5 foot gauge railways are there to model anyway?

European 0 scale(s) is/are 1:43.5, 23mm:metre and 1:45 which makes present day H0 half of most of European 0 scale.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

The letter "ä" is ASCII code number 132. I find that I can generate the ä letter on a Windows computer by holding down the ALT key while typing the number 132 on the number pad on the right side of the keyboard. This only seems to work with the number pad on the right side of the keyboard and not on the numbers ot the top row of the keyboard.

Arnie Morscher Train photos at:

From earlier discussions:

Reply to
Arnold Morscher

It's possible that the majority of subscribers to this newsgroup are in North America, and to them, 0 scale is 1/4" :ft and H0 certainly isn't half of that.

No, H0 is half of 7mm:ft scale - the UK scale. The European scale is a slightly smaller scale ratio to get a more accurate scale/gauge ratio on 32mm track.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:51:58 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

The first time you make a correct statement here and you have to go and make a feast of it. Get over it, Greg. Move on.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

All of Mother Russia (rounding up to the nearest inch... someone out there is going to point out that it is 4' 11 84/100'... 1520mm

David

Reply to
chorleydnc

Shouldn't that be 4' 11 21/25th? One always expresses a fraction in the smallest 'amount', or whatever the term is.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Fair point I suppose - however, all these scales began in Europe with the exception of TT and several we could argue about.

All the major sizes that started pre-mid-thirties were _gauges_, not scales.

Scales were ascribed to those gauges somewhat later, hence the weird ratios.

Forget millemeter:foot scales, those are the constructs of Henry Greenley long after the gauges were set. No-one in their right mind would set a scale ratio in two different measuring systems. Certainly no-one in mainland Europe would know how to utilize such a scale as they dumped such archaic measurements more than a century ago.

Most of Europe uses 1:43.5 scale, with a much smaller group in the south eastern corner of Central Europe using 1:45.

7mm:1' is in fact slightly _smaller_ that the standard European scale at 1:43.5428'57141428'57..repeating.

Imagine trying to measure a scale (say) 6 1/2" in that scale!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I'm defending myself from a variety of attacks - I was quite happy with just writing Maerklin.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I seem to remember Spain as also being 5'gauge. One of the 'claims to fame' of the "Talgo" (Ran from Paris to Madrid?), was that it was set up to 'change gauge where it crossed the Frontier between France/Spain. [Wheels were moved on the axles.]

Chuck Davis

Reply to
Charles Davis

Japan has two scales for N-scale. Most non-Shinkansen trains are narrow gauge, and are modeled at 1/150. The Shinkansen trains are standard gauge, so they are modeled at 1/160.

Reply to
Ken Rice