Why is called HO?

Yeah, even my mother can see you're totally wrong again.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Yes, I fully admit I've made mistakes in my life, lots of them - hell Ray, I'm responding to your petty posting right now!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 10:21:47 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

So now you can just spout some lie or other and suggest that everyone simply believe it. You're a moron, Greg. There's no proof and that's your mainstay in life. Simply declare something to be true and wander off for your next bit of buffoonery.

Money has a negative? Good grief, mate. If you don't want yours, send it this way.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 10:22:50 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

ONLY your mother can, Greg. That's the point.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 10:24:38 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Fans of irony, take note.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

My having seen it isn't sufficient for me to believe in it? What proof would you want of something that has been totally removed?

Perhaps I should have written that more clearly - the choice being access to money plus the negatives of US society or remaining here.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I'll just kill the thread.

later dude

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Greg Procter wrote: > Mark Newton wrote: >

Yes, I am. I ought to have written that "The trend is for you to become more of a useless c*nt with every day that passes."

Reply to
Mark Newton

No.

No. Not my responsibility.

No. Not my responsibility.

I've done many things Greg. Unlike you. I've relied on my training, experience and skill to keep me out of trouble...unlike you.

How's that automated train set going?

Reply to
Mark Newton

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 04:58:00 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Mark Newton instead replied:

He set fire to it when he brushed a comb against his wife's fleece and a spark set the diesel tank off. All she says these days is "Baaaaaaaaaaaaa-d Greg. Baaaaaaaaaaaa-d Greg.

Then his sheepdog fell off the table laughing at Greg with his hair on fire.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

The difference in the NMRA 1:87.1 scale, the NEM and AMRA 1:87 scale and the UK modellers definition of 3.5mm foot is only about 0.001% difference. Less than the shrinkage in the materials used to make cast models. A good example of maximum debate over irrelevant differences.

Terry Flynn

HO wagon weight and locomotive tractive effort estimates

DC control circuit diagrams

HO scale track and wheel standards

Any scale track standard and wheel spread sheet

Reply to
NSWGR

Make that less than 1% difference. or slightly more than 0.1% difference!

Less than the shrinkage in the materials used to make cast

If there was no relevant difference, why would different model organisations bother to make the distinction? MOROP's 1:87 is a whole number, whereas the NMRA felt the need to round the UK standard 3.5mm:1 foot to get to 1:87.1 If those differences are irrelevant then why make them? All three would be 1:87. You're not arguing _my_ distinctions, you're arguing against MOROP, Henry Greenly and the NMRA.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

standardised

Salvé Actually Greg you are wrong here, the standards in question are not those of measurement in the linear sense of how long, but in the engineering sense of what angle a screw thread was to be and so on, these were not stan dard throughout europe, in fact some of the Imperial standards exceed those of the various continental systems cycle threads come immediately to mind, Royce Creasey the engineer used to wax lyrical on these standards some twenty years ago in Classical mechanics (classic ´motorycycles mechanics that is...) and until these standards were unified legal cases throughout the common market (EU now) could not be rectified in the customers or manufacturers favour...or otherwise because each nation had its own standards and those of other nations not sharing its standards were by default as it were..illegal....and in the case of an accident who was to be held to book? Britain wisely waited with its ancient system until such standards were unified throughout a now semi united Europe, now its caught up with the rest of Western Europe faster than they expected :) USA manufacturers often work to moden metric standards and in scientific practices nearly always work to metric standards so its only a matter of time before the USA also goes the way of post napoleonic metrification :) As far as the Imperial system is concerned the various measurements have been for the better part of a century been standardised on various isotope wavelenghts just as the metric system is, how this came about is far beyond my ken as my area of expertise is Radical Contextualist Theology and not how to decide which wavelenght of which isotope to use for what prpose, personally I think that channels like this one are not to be used for personal abuse, but for chatting about railways :) of all types from the neolithic ones of Malta to those of the United Kingdom and the americas even those breakaway colonies (so sad !) both north and south of Panama :)) Personally I think that Great Western steam loco's resplendant in Brunswick green and gleaming polished brass steam domes and chimney's topped with a polished bronze "cap" like a wonderful Edwardian metal top hat are superb and Gresleys, LNER fully lined out varnished teak carriages along with with Staniers LMS carriages for sheer comfort and the wonderful smell of a Manchester Pullman pulling into Watford Junction at 08:20 am each door resplendant with fully liveried waiter awaiting to help passengers alight and board, yes the memory of the wafting wonderfull scents of bacon and eggs andManx kippers and smell of luxury coffee that wafted out of those beautful carriages (now used on the orient express :(.........) made my day when I was training as a train Guard and doubled up as a railwayman ( a railway servant to be exact , porters had ceased to exist some 20 years earlier) yes and that was in the late 70`s (1979 not 1879!) now you have to pay a carpet (£500) or so just to experienc half the service on a fake Orient express :( Its no wonder that we like to model trains :)So lets stick to trains and not to the sexual habits of sheep no matter how attractive they may be to australians in their fantasies about NZ, personally I'd like to here a few more experiences here by folk who actually worked on railways , both then and now , this makes a model railway really come alive knowing that a wee bit of it isnt as passengers remember it but as the railway servants or workers or footplatemen remembe it. Any other ideas about this folk...if you havent already killfiled this thread :D

Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

I'll accept that - however my HO models generally don't go as far as representing scale screw threads and on my my G24 garden models I deliberately don't thread the exposed screw and rodding so as to better deal with the rough and tumble of outdoor usage.

Perhaps you don't remember just how many different thread standards there were under the Imperial systems? Every industry had it's own unique standards, often several on any given product. One couldn't buy a replacement bolt from an engineering shop but rather had to go to the local representative of the particular manufacturer (if such still existed) who hopefully would have reference material as to what particular standard bolt was used in a 1951 Jowett Javellin gearbox speedometer drive union.

Systems - lots of them!

I'm waiting - meanwhile almost anything I want to buy from there is having it's production transfered to China.

I'll remember not to expound my various unfounded nonradical theories to you on this ng!

? I 've never smelled a Manx kipper - does the lack of tail and the three legs alter the aroma noticably?

That sum would almost buy you a model!

I never worked on the railway but I did load/unload a wide variety of goods wagons in my student days - the louvered vents on the X class van ventilators gave one a view which allowed 2-3 seconds of warning of the boss's silent arrival to check on we slackers! Outside my computer room window is the local branchline - several times per day a train rumbles past, either L wagons (the last 4 wheelers in use in NZ) modified for circa 3m small logs or U wagons with fittings for larger logs, all pulled by whatever loco is currently spare in Whangarei.

Regards, Greg.P.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"> > As

I endevour to keep my hobby and my profession seperate though they both delight me :) though not necessarilly anyone elese :)

Only if someone slaps you about the face with one :)

Its always fun to see ancient rolling stock , I still havent gotten over a trip in Finland when the conductor/Guard (I'm not sure of the difference I was a Guard not a conductor ...they were found on buses and didnt need to be able to read.......) who kept walking past me with armfulls of logs...finally I asked him why, he then showed me the log burning stove in the carriage , I thought it smelled nice :) Train services in other countries also had their delights like travelling in immediately post soviet Estonia and not being allowed to draw the curtains on the window to see out... but being served a piping hot cup of russian tea on a little tray built into the arm rest of the chair, an amasingly comfortable trip, after all the propoganda I'd assumed that they were still using planet type locosand was suprised to see what looked like angular versions of RS3's at the port side... I believe you are now allowed to look out of the windows without facing a firing squad :))))) Beowulf Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Hey, I'm older than they are!

Like me they are over twenty years old with long wheelbase, but had a speed limit rating below that of current mainline trains.

, I still havent gotten over a

Reply to
Greg Procter

More 'sort of' : The Talgo runs afik from Genève, Switzerland to Madrid, Spain. The wheelgauge is adjusted at the frontier, Port Bou. Been there, done that.

Chers, Salut, Wim.

Reply to
Wim van Bemmel