Crossley Colour

Gents, I have recently painted my crossley and i'm a not sure if its the correct shade. The paint ordered was BS14 C Shade 39? that i was told is correct for a crossley, but the more i look at it the more uncertain i become. Your opinions would be appreciated. I've tagged a couple of pics on webshots

Cheers Regards Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

Gary,

Silly question but does your flash work :-)) as I peered into the darkness I think I spotted what looked like the block of a Crossley in a nice shade of green. It looks near enough to me.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Hi martin, the flash does work, but unfortunately my workshop is quite dark at the best of times. so i can only apologize for the poor quality of the pics. Regards, Gary

Reply to
gary millward

I transferred it to PSP8 & had a twiddle with it, reverting to the original each time to try and get a feel for it. Hard to be sure from the evidence, but FWIW, it is a pretty close match for my 1075

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Thanks Kim. I might just be paranoid, or it could be the brunswick tinted glasses :-)). I just had a look at your 1075 on webshots, and your right it's not to far away. I've looked at lots of pics on the web and they seem to be all shades of green, its hard to choose which is the right colour. I think i read in the archives somewhere you bought the crossley from Rex chatfield?. I was next to Rex at onslow park in august, he mentioned the crossley, and how it was getting a bit heavy for him. He was showing his tangye M, that runs a treat I could stand and watch it running all day. Cheers, Regards, Gary M.

Reply to
gary millward

That's right, Rex Chatfield found it languishing in a barn in a terrible state & restored it to a good standard. It has a lot of nice touches - like brass plates instead of steel to cover the oil pockets & a hand made, riveted petrol tank with a hand made petrol cap with a big "C" milled into the top. The carburettor has a lot of brass about it and is supplied via a brass (not copper) pipe.

I swapped a Ducati Sebring for it in one of those rare deals in which both parties thought they came out ahead!

I quite soon found it a suitable 110 Volt dynamo to drive, but with the Crossley weighing in at seven hundredweight & the dynamo at another three, it became obvious that they needed a dedicated trailer to display them, something I do not have the space to store. My current plan is to clear a corner of the workshop (HA!!) and mount them on a concrete plinth for my own amusement.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

That because the shade of green that you monitor displays has to many variables in the path from the camera to your display. Unless the particular image you are looking at has a color chart in view that you can then adjust your monitor to render correctly colours can be very variable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave's right. However, if you do a lot of photo handling, you tend to get a "feel" for the colour and I can get a pretty good idea by seeing what comes up when I change the contrast, balance, saturation etc. and compare each variable with the original.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

As a fellow 1060 owner, I'd be interested to hear what you thought was wrong with the colour. The first thing I noticed when I bought paint to the oft quoted BS reference was that it looke to be a very blueish green and very "fresh" compared to Crossleys seen on the raly field. I now believe that this colour darkens with time, and the degree of gloss/weathering also alters the perceived colour, as does the quality of the light, and some photos taken with fill in flash look completely different to those taken with only natural light.

Examples of my Crossley (and Wolseley WD2 with a base coat of the same paint) can be seen on my website

John Ambler Sussex, UK Return E-mails to snipped-for-privacy@skiprat.net

John Ambler

John, I think the colour looks great, but having only restored Listers before i'm used to seeing engines painted with brunswick green, so it took a bit of getting used to and i don't have much faith in my paint supplyer, he's got it wrong a couple of times.:-((

Your quite right it does have a slightly blue tinge to it, but now the paint has hardened off a bit i'm alot more satisfied with the results so much so i've started to build the engine back up. but still being a relative novice I thought a bit of moral support was needed.

Regards Gary M

Reply to
gary millward