Ebay scam BEWARE

Gents, Tonite I recieved an email from an ebay member that looks just like a genuine ebay message it goes as follows.

Question from jell Item: (6436472319) This message was sent while the listing was active. . Hello , I have bid on your item , can you please contact me and tell me how much is shipping to zip code 92110 ? Thank you very much for your response

Now I thought this was strange as I don't have anything for sale on ebay at the moment, when I followed the link via the bogus item number a page very similar to ebays sign in page comes up, you sign in and bang they have your password it almost caught me out so please be carefull when recieveing questions on items.

HTH Regards, Gary Millward

Reply to
gary millward

I've had several recently purporting to be would be customers when I am not advertising anything. A swift click on the writer's name and/or feedback discovers that they are not valid.

IMHO, the crafty bit is that the rest of the hyperlinks work & point to eBay.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Always remember that if the email is viewed as plain text, then the link will show the bogus url as well as the correct ebay one. A problem with hyperlinks is that you can show a url on-screen but the underlying code takes you somewhere else. This is part of the system and can't be changed.

If it looks 'funny' it usually is, and should be forwarded to:

snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com

or

snipped-for-privacy@paypal.com

Peter

Peter A Forbes

If you use an email client like Thunderbird, it ignores the hidden link to the spoofers site and takes you to the visible address - ebay.co.uk

Reply to
Sharky

Haven't used Thunderbird, although given the choice I'd rather the email programme did nothing with it until I had been able to look at it in detail, which is why we use Agent.

Probably the same in Thunderbird, just haven't been there.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Should have said, Thunderbird shows the underlying URL in a box in the bottom left of the screen - ie where the code wants to take you - when you wave the mouse over the link. However, clicking the link will only take you to the visible URL.

Reply to
Sharky