Interesting Carburettor

Interesting. The Choker certainly looks American with those Fahnstock (sp?) connectors - possibly an early 'bolt on goody'?

Reply to
Nick H

Has anyone seen a Zenith carb like this, complete with period 'choker' device ?

We picked this up a year or two back for a project and before we put it to good use we would be interested to find out more about it and it's original application ?

Any ideas ?

Regards David

Reply to
David McC

No idea as to its application, but I've got Stuart Turner carbs which look very much like it. The massive bronze body and remote choke facility give it a marine application appearance to my eye, but I might well be wrong.

As it is fairly conventional in its layout, I'd date it to at least the mid

1930's and it may be as late as the 1950's

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

J K Siddorn

HF3K was current in 1927...

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Yup, but all the Zenith carbs seem to have started with a number to indicate choke/venturi size, and my oldest listing has nothing like this one, and that goes back to the 1920's also.

I have had a look in Page's Carb books as well, and will go into the other old books tonight when I have a chance. Clerk has nothing on this one either, although it's probably a bit early for this carb.

Prepair Ltd

Well, Pete, can't answer for your archives...

As for the size designation, I thought to the Zenith cognoscenti, a HF3K model signified a nominal 3/4" carburetor, HF3 1/2 being nominal 7/8" 4 = 1", 5 = 1-1/4", 6 = 1-1/2", 7 = 1-3/4" & 8 = 2"

Nominal, as a nominal 7/8" carburetor had a bore of 1-1/16"

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Interesting couple of replies, maybe looks older than it actually is?

I thought it may have been for an early car but the marine idea sounds plausible.

Do you know what application was mentioned in 1927 ? Thanks for the help so far, Rgeards David

David McC