Leather flat belt sources?

I'm looking for 15mm belts / dressing / couplings for a flatbelt Myford ML2 lathe. Anyone know of a source? Ideally near Bristol, or else mail-order

Thanks

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There's item 320269397229 on eBay.

You can always run a V belt on flat pulleys. The power rating may be a little less but that may not be an issue on a Myford. It's accepted practice to run a V belt on the larger pulley when the ratio exceeds a certain figure. I can't remember the exact ratio but 4:1 sounds familiar.

John

Reply to
John

There's also this site

John

Reply to
John

If you really must then try AC Belting. However the last maker of leather belts in the UK is now in Hungarian ownership and from them the minimum order is 5 belts. I had one via AC (who in fairness did warn me). It was crap and required me to sell a daughter. I would urge you use the green stuff also from AC but cheaper and no stretch. Alternatively try the last oak tannery in UK (Colyton Devon) who will probably sell you the leather very reasonably ( and a tour is well worth it).

hth

Reply to
Roland Craven

I thought you couldn't do that on step pulleys though, as they tended to wander? Certainly I've never had any luck when I tried it. Non- step pulleys are easy enough to convert to Vee.

I wonder if a polygroove might work even better?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You can use V belts on step pulleys. I had a lathe so equiped so time ago. It helps if the "flat" pulley is crowned but that's not essential if the other pulley is a normal V type. My lathe had a flat stepped pulley as part of the headstock and fitting a V belt meant a headstock strip down. The previous owner had got around that by fitting a brammer type belt, the riveted type. That meant the rivet heads were running on the flat pulley! It was noisy and prone to slipping. A strip dpwn allowed me to fit a V belt, and a spare was tied in place for later. Later I went to a twist together V belt without rivets and that worked well. I had a stepped V pulley driving the flat headstock pulley. As the V pulley was narrower than the flat one, it was made to slide on the shaft (it was an idler). That meant I could bet a wider range of ratios by combining all the possibilities.

John

Reply to
John