Microscopic engines

I was watching Richard & Judy on CH4 at 17.15 tonight. A chap was showing a new microscopic I/C engine a 1/4 the size of a penny. He said that they were nearly at the point where a wristwatch could be powered by lighter fluid. I missed his name but a Google search on microscopic engines brought out quite a bit on the subject. see

one is a wankel engine but the one on R&J was a single cylinder piston engine. Sounds easier to carry than a Lister L.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Could be the future of rallying!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Nanobot Technology.

They are also working on small robots that will be injected into the body to carry out operations and medical procedures from the inside.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

Some years ago, our Eastern cousins managed to put a working steam engine on an IC chip. Can't remember the details, but it was shown working on a TV. May have been Tomorrows World.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Sorry to post again, but micro-engineering is now making this sort of stuff.

are developing micro machines at work. It's not my field, but I will try and post some details. Just to give you a taste, the laser department is pulsing a laser beam. Now I always thought that they just turned the laser on & off quickly. They do that, but very quickly, like in Pico seconds. The length of the light beam is measured in sub millimetre lengths. That is a beam of light which is less than 1mm from front to back.

John

Reply to
John Manders