OT but what the hell :-))

Gentlemen,

Mothers day today and I hope you all at least rang them and asked after there well being. My Daughter came with us today to a local hostelry and bought us all lunch, that is I paid as she forgot to go to a hole in the wall, so the Rover got a ride out, nice day with the drivers window open, its cold in here why have you got the window open, I'm listening to the engine, is there something wrong, no I just love listening to the engine. They just don't understand do they and when you try to explain they reach for the phone to ring the white coat brigade.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Sadly, all of our own parents are gone, but the boys both remembered and Rita had cards and choc's (which I declined when offered!)

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Well done a few brownie points for you :-))

Rita

Reply to
campingstoveman

White coats don't help, overalls are the only answer. There's no cure for this addiction though many have tried. You just have to feed the symptoms and prevent withdrawl setting in.

Even more difficult is explaining why my knees go weak and I start sniffing the air deeply when the smell of Castrol R is wafting about.

I'm not sure which sense dominates for these situations. The sound of a Merlin purring, a competition car (or bike) engine on song or even a piece of powerfull music. The smell of suds oil, Castrol R or tyre smoke. The curves of an E type Jaguar, Aston Martin, GT40, Austin Healey, (this list goes on); the sight of a finely machined component or the wing of a Spitfire or Concorde. The presence of an engine that's just been switched off, still warm but resting now. The touch of metal worn smooth by use or still warm from the lathe or being used. The sense of balance when cornering a well handling car on the limit through a series of curves or the acceleration of your latest engine recently installed in your project car.

Sorry, I've gone all weak now.

John, (off to sit in a quiet corner)

Reply to
John

"campingstoveman" wrote (snip):-

As I said, it's something you just get or don't get. I always wind the window down if something 'interesting' passes me on the motorway and when I had the misfortune of a daily commute from W. London to Crawley, I used to do the same to listen to the flood lighting sets in the M25 roadworks! It's a shame most modern cars are so well silenced that all you hear is a rush of tyre and wind noise as they go by.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Don't forget the deep vibrating throb of the stereo testing the fatigue resistance of the door panels.

There are still nice noises from some cars. Subaru flat fours growl quite nicely. Aston Martins throb while Ferraris howl wonderfully. It's true that modern "normal" cars are almost unhearable but their ancestors didn't exactly stir the soul. There's no way a Morris Oxford or Ford Anglia could be described as nice. At least modern things don't mask the better sounds when they're around. I still remember following a Porsche Turbo through a tunnel many years back. The driver wasn't blasting along but was going on and off the throttle. The echo of the roar of power followed by the banging on the overun reverberated fabulously along the tunnel. Pure joy as I did my best to keep up with the window open and my head almost out of it.

John

Reply to
John

(snip)

PA> Gilbert & Sullivan or Enya was my choice of music on the move,

Just don't try the Ramones unless you like speeding tickets!

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Doing 80+ down the motorway with Black Sabbath at full tilt.

Reply to
campingstoveman

I'm afraid I find motorways boring at any speed. However, a twisty Welsh A road + Meatloaf doing Bat out of Hell =3D more fun than I'm prepared to admit.

John

Reply to
John

Well with your chugalongs the twisty roads hide the play in the steering and the music hides the rattles :-))

Martin P

However, a twisty Welsh A road + Meatloaf doing Bat out of Hell = more fun than I'm prepared to admit.

John

Reply to
campingstoveman

80 probably is full tilt in a Rover :-)