OT Question Ebay descriptions

I'm probably being terminally dim, but can anyone here explain to me why some people put the words l@@k or WOW in their eBay description.

Is there some nuance of eBay listing that I am missing or what?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Just an Americanism that is creeping over here. The more of those sort of things on an auction the less I am likely to bid for the item.

More and more I find that interesting gear (of any type, not just engine stuff) is becoming rarer to find at any price, because people are generating a living by buying and selling on ebay, and the more that do it the more their income is financed out of the prices they are getting.

On a separate but interesting note, I caught an auction the other day with just 8 seconds to spare. I had forgotton that it finished in the morning over in the States but lunchtime here, and as I logged on I thought I had run out of time, but in fact had 28 seconds to get a bid in and I won with 8 seconds to spare!

Both of us are buying stuff in the States which we bring back over, not for resale but as collectibles that are relatively cheap over there but tend to be pricey here.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

The work is look and the two ampersands are supposed to look like eyes.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Taylor

Arthur,

IMHO, it's because they're @$$h0le$ :-)))

Regards,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Brooks

Here here. I class them with the pillocks that describe all their crap as rare or vintage or surround it with superlatives, asterisks or other drivel that simply shows them to be morons. My favourite is N/R which I assume means No reserve. Putting it in the heading presumes that there are people who search on "No reserve". Can this be so?? OTOH can anyone enlighten me as to the reasons for having "private bidders" on apparently innocuous items? regards

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Just wondered. I was puzzled by this, as in the past I've wished I had a few more characters in the description field so that I could get all the relevant details in. Filling it up with $H1t struck me as odd.

It seems like we're all in agreement.

Well put Martin!

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

There are a load of things you can do, including; excluding certain bidders, refusing to sell if you don't like the look of the bidder, keeping bidder ID's private as you mentioned, ad nauseum. Mostly pretty anti-free trade but allowed under ebay rules "as long as you put it on the auction description".

There is a certain paranoia about the Americanos when it comes to auctions, especially when you get a pair or group who are known bidders for certain things. You can check on any bidder at any time by using the search page and putting in their ebay name.

Thus you cannot always keep entirely 'mum' about bidding, hence (I beleive) the raison d'etre for the private bidding process. I know not if the private bids come up in the search page.

Most serious ebay bidders and sellers have multiple accounts for this reason.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Fie on ye, ye scurvy dawg! Stealing our fine collectibles and our irreplacible heritage! Raping the heart of our noble culture and removing your spoils from our proud homeland! Another Tea Party is what we need!!!!!

Rob

P.S. Ya got any of them scraped out English motors you wanna trade for some fine American antiques?

Reply to
Rob Skinner

Hi Rob:

Well, Wedgwood China is made in the UK, so it's not exactly USA Heritage stuff. The pattern that we collect (Wellesley Bullfinch) was made for the USA market only and wasn't sold over here in the UK. We've got together quite a decent set now, just adding on the odds and ends really. Two big boxes arrived at Tim's place a week or so ago which will be the last of the big batches, and Gary Epps has a box that he collected for us and will bring to Portland. Regarding tea parties, you're the wrong side of the country for that :-))

Now, engines is another matter, but we are a bit short on hit and miss items, just boring old diesels, and they won't go hand baggage I'm afraid......

Be seeing you in April, let me know if there is anything (other than a Lister

5/1 ! ) you want fetching over.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Hit & miss - another description of the Boston Tea Party.

Runs off giggling followed by cries of" No taxation without reprehension......"

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

No I think you were probably right there Kim !

Reply to
Barry Ruck

It's not often that I would be in a position to buy china, but I'll remember the W. Bullfinch style as something for which I should keep an eye open.

I was checking out Paul E.'s classifieds and came across a Crossley HH... maybe if you and Rita both carried some parts in your suitcases.

See you then. We're finished with shows for the next couple months. Can't wait for April.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Skinner

"Rob Skinner" wrote

Too late anyway, being stuck on rock at the entrance as a gate guardian, bit of shame really for a nice engine but nobody was interested in it.

Paul

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to