OT - Tractor Regulato

I have a Fergie TEA20 - 1948 6V Electrics with a knackered regulator. Dynamo is fine. I know I could just replace the regulator with another, identical unit but the tractor is actively used on our smallholding and I'm looking for reliability rather than keeping it authentic.

So I'm wondering about replacing the regulator with a solid-state unit. Has anyone any experience or knowledge in doing this? I'm considering one of the units made for old motorcycles or perhaps building my own if I can find a suitable design.

Any suggestions folks?

Ta

Denis Jackson, Chepstow UK

Reply to
jacksond

Hi Dennis. I suggest that you fit an alternator and convert to 12 volt negative earth. Use a Lucas alternator with either the dynamo drive pulley (straight swap) or fit as small a pulley as possible that will take the large belt. Fit a 12 volt coil and change any bulbs not forgetting the ignition warning lamp. You also need a 12 volt battery of course but these are easier to get than 6 volt ones. The 6 volt starter will be OK. If yours still has the gearbox starter switch there's no problem. If it has been converted to a solenoid, change that as well. I think that covers most of it. Good luck

John

Reply to
John Manders