OT: Travelling Light

One of the problems with overseas travelling, either personal or on business, is that so much 'extra' gear has to be taken along if you want to keep in touch and also take pictures/videos of where you have been.

With luggage restrictions almost universally applied these days, we have had to look at what we take with us as there are real issues with carry-on luggage on all flights.

The 'standard' laptop had to go, as it took up a whole slew of space and weight, and the larger FD-97 and CD-1000 Mavica cameras that we have were also getting to be a problem, especially once you include the extra batteries, charger, cables etc etc.

We do have some PDA's in the family (Compaq Ipaq's) but although they are great for logging on at airports etc., they are not really practical for anything requiring significant input or editing, so although we will take them, they are not the solution.

Last October we picked up a couple of Toshiba Libretto 110CT mini-laptops, one here in the UK and one in the USA. After sorting them out and getting our favourite programmes installed, they have turned out to be quite a useful little tool. Battery life is about 2-1/2 hours with a new battery, and we carry one spare with us plus the charger and the mini docking station which gives a full set of ports. A PCMCIA wireless card and a card reader for the memory sticks gives us all the extra facilities we use while away.

The camera solution was to get one of the Cyber-Shot machines. We settled on a DSC-F717 in the end, takes the same battery as a couple of our other cameras so we can use the same spares and chargers. It is Memory Stick only, which is not a problem as we now have many sticks available, and we can dump them to the laptop each evening. Significantly, the camera is less than half the size of the FD-97 or CD-1000 that we had used before.

To carry all of this stuff we picked up a leather Sony Digicam case on ebay, larger than the big Mavica cases and it takes everything, including the Sony external flash, spare batteries etc etc. The later fabric camera bags are a fair bit lighter, but the leather ones take a lot more punishment and protect the contents better IMO.

We have two, maybe three overseas trips scheduled this year, and we will be able to try it all out 'on the road' as it were.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:58:41 +0100, Peter A Forbes finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

Surely the solution is to put the cables and chargers not need for immediate use in the hold? I put the battery charger and spare batteries for the camera in the hold luggage on our recent holiday - a couple of spare AA's for the camera were slipped in my pocket and that worked fine!

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

As a proportion of the total volume, they are not more than 5%, and if they all go in the same bag, in theory we can't forget them.... :-))

Mobile phone charger is a car type, fits most cars!

Peter

Peter A Forbes