SE Mag

SE Mag dropped on the doormat this morning. Just time for a quick flick through before dragging myself off to work. Well done on the Homelite article Kim, could you enlighten (Ho, Ho) us as to the workings of a Newton Pile Regulator - is it some sort of carbon stack device a la Miller?

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Kim is probably referring to a Newton-Derby carbon pile regulator, they made these for many years and up into the 1970's, Mawdesleys being one of their biggest customers for use with their DC machines.

The Cub 5.6kVA generating sets have Newton Derby carbon piles as part of their control panel. They are generally discs or squares of carbon that are compressed by a solenoid or geared motor. The resistance of the pile varies according to the pressure exerted. The motor driven piles were usually only used on big stuff IIRC.

The resistance is usually inserted into the field circuit of the generator, increasing the resistance reduces the field current and thus the output of the set.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Ah, like a Singer electric sewing machine speed control then!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Nor me, but I have been called upon to repair one. Load of carbon discs in a tube, moving pedal varies pressure on stack.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Never used one myself... :-))

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Well done Kim, on a well written and very well illustrated article (IMHO) , which I would say was probably the best of that issue. At first sight, the Homelite would not have been my first choice for interesting engine of the year, but this piece was good enough to arouse and sustain my interest.

I particularly liked the final sentence "Now, what's next." which conveys that slightly deflated feeling when the thing goes and there's nothing else to be done with it.

Keep 'em coming!

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton