Why are so many engines painted in Mid Brunswick

Why is it so many engines are painted in Mid Brunswick Green. & why do some restorers paint their Lister D types is shades from Lime Green to almost Black green?

CJ

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Campingstoveman

My theory: It was common for those who used a lot of paint to grind their own pigments with a ball mill and mix it with the other ingredients to their taste. Brunswick is an old colour and the ingredients not rare or costly. Further, all the other primary colours and black would have been to some extent unstable and fugitive (and still were even in the 60s for those who remember cars of that era :-). So Mid Brunswick would have been cheap, handsome, stable and gave good coverage even with only one or two coats which is what most manufacturers used. IMHO opinion old brushing coach-enamels gave a depth of finish which is matched only by the most expensive modern paints. Tune in another day for my theory on Dinosaurs...... regards Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

In addition to Roland's cogent reasons, I'd heard that it was done to suggest a peaceful air to proceedings and was thought to blend in better with farming.

I have no opinion, but I know it bores me rigid to see long lines of green engines & welcome the occasional unrestored paintless black iron engine gasping away and the more earnest burr of later WW2 stuff. At least WD engines are a different shade of green!

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc!

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I used to go to great lengths to ensure that my restored engine colours were "correct to manufacturers specification". My "Witte" diesel, according to an "expert" in the USA, needed to be grey, he even supplied the spec number and the colour was a shade darker that Fergy grey. First time it was rallied I was informed that it was wrong, "Should be green" said the man. My Armstrong Siddeley AS1 showed signs of Mid Blue paint in inaccessible corners when I stripped it down so that's what it got when it was rebuilt(See front cover S.E. mag,issue 276) "Should be green" Said the man!!!!! You can please some of the people etc-etc-etc.

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas..:-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Happy the man who has been able to learn the causes of things. I didn't know that Virgil was a Stationary Engine Collector 8^) Dave Croft

Reply to
Dave Croft

Ne Virgil quidem trivit..

Reply to
Tom

...but what these brainless dogmatists choose to ignore is that many of these engines went to OEMs who painted them the colour of their choice. No doubt your AS1 came off a bailer. For example Petter M&S appear in several shades of green, red, black, grey, blue and no doubt many others. Besides you can paint your engine any colour you like because its yours :-) Personally I aim for originality and always try to leave a trace of original in a corner for the next bloke to find. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

It only seems to be engines of a certain era that are green. Both my BSA's are red. The one was certainly that colour from new. The other may have had a repaint hav'nt checked to closely yet. My Briggs and Strattons are both gold. Again different shades but both original. A lot of the very early engines were black if the repaints are to be believed. I always try to repaint in the original colour. This has been made much easier with the advent of computerised paint mixers in retail outlets such as Halfords. Just specify your colour and they will mix it for you in either tins or aerosols. The latter are a very easy way of painting a small engine.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Armstrongs supplied as marine engines (via Parsons) were a fairly revolting light green, I used to have an AS2 (from a baler) which was bright red. I've also seen them in what I can only describe as 'turquoise grey'.

Gardner diesels were grey since the year dot, yet I had three 1L2's at one time, two were green, mid-brunswick-ish, one was white and none showed evidence of having ever been any other colour.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

Reply to
Martin Hirst

It has been fun reading and it is, after all, a question that we all think ablut when we contemplate a restoration. I am only just new to the hobby though I have loved engines and mechanical things since before I could walk . I have three engines now and paint color is nearly the first thing I think about.

Scott

Reply to
Scott McAfee