2mm Bi-colour LED's

Does anyone know where I can source some bi-colour LED's (red and white/yellow) of a 2mm diameter, like those used by Express Models?

Usual suspects (Maplin, Rapid Electronics, Farnell) don't seem to know.

TIA,

Ian

Reply to
Ian Cornish

Tandy? Their US parent's shops sell them (Radio Shack).

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

That's a name I've not seen on the British high street for a few years. Looking at Radioshack.com does not yield any mention of 2mm LED's, let alone bi-colour ones.

Thanks for the hint.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Cornish

Rapid have some surface mount ones - code 72-8750. The centre bit with the LEDs is 2.2mm wide although overall it's 3.5mm long

You'll also need to be a bit handy with a soldering iron to use these!

peter

Reply to
naked_draughtsman

You'll have a job finding any 2mm bi-colour LEDS, I've been looking for months. If, like me, you want them for loco lights, have you thought about using fibre optics? Larger bi-colour LEDs are much easier to find as a light source and I 'borrowed' the fibre optic cable from a cheap christmas tree decoration.

Reply to
jasper_goat

naked_draughtsman said the following on 11/05/2006 21:35:

Soldering them isn't difficult at all, despite the small size. What you should be aware of though is that you may have difficulty in soldering wires directly to it, and getting it to stay on long term. This is because they have a RoHS compliant finish, and bog-standard multicore solder may not make the most effective joint. A dollop of lead-free solder paste will be much better!

There are all sorts of technical reasons for this, and anyone who works in the electronics industry will be only too aware of the problems caused by RoHS!!!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I wonder if anyone anywhere has ever actually used one of those as a seasonal decoration, rather than dismantled it to make something more interesting?

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Oh, I waited until twelth night

Reply to
jasper_goat

I buy my LEDs from

they seem to be well priced - sadly they don't seem to have 2mm on their website. I'll try dropping an email.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian B