A Bargain??

Hello,

I picked up a Hornby model of the Mallard on Sunday, at a local Trade and Antiques Fair. No box, just the OO Model Engine.

It cost me £24, and appears to be in A1 working condition!

Did I get a good deal?

David.

Reply to
David F.

Thanks Martin, and well done...

That's very sharp for this time in the Morning!

David . ;-))

Reply to
David F.

"MartinS"

21:04 on Sunday evening where I am.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

David F > It cost me £24, and appears to be in A1 working condition!

If you are happy with it, then you got a good deal! :-)

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I replied to that message at 01.51 GMT, Monday Morning! I live near Colchester, South-East England.

It looks good next to the ol' Green Arrow in it's box!

ZZzzzzzzzz.

David.

Reply to
David F.

I assume it would cost me around £50-60 from a Retailer!

David.

Reply to
David F.

More like £40 without a box. You can buy new locos around £60.

Reply to
MartinS

Thanks, Martin.

I was in the right "ballpark", and after a thorough examination, it is in perfect condition. I doubt if it's been used, except to test it! No Scratches, no Rust, and the motor etc. is gleaming and oiled.

All I need is another Engine for the left-flank to balance things up. Now where did I see the Flying Scotsman for £28 last week?......

This may be a silly question, but.... can you buy the empty boxes?

Regards,

David. ;-z

Reply to
David F.

I believe you can - but be prepared to pay a lot more than the value of its contents :-) Winess some Hornby Dublo wagons recently whose value inflated from a few pounds to hundreds because they were in their original boxes with "Export" stickers on them. :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Some people and sell make replica boxes!

I have bought several unboxed locos, all in good condition. Sometimes they are from a boxed set that has been split up and sold separately.

My best buy, and best runner, is a LNER "Flying Scotsman" bought at a flea market in Toronto for about $80 (£35). Unusually, it is modelled in as-built condition, with a non-corridor tender, LNER crest on the cabside and "LNER 4472" on the tender.

Reply to
MartinS

MartinS > My best buy, and best runner, is a LNER "Flying Scotsman" bought at a

As built condition would have required the number "1472".

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Well, I asked about it on here, and was told the livery was worn from

1923 to 1927, but you are right about the number.

From: Flying Scotsman Railways, Flying Scotsman has had the following running numbers: 1472 February 1923 - March 1924 4472 March 1924 - January 1946 502 January 1946 - May 1946 103 May 1946 - February 1948 E103 March 1948 - December 1948 60103 December 1948 - January 1963 Since 1963, Flying Scotsman has switched between using 4472 and 60103, depending on whether it is painted in LNER Apple Green livery (4472) or BR Brunswick Green livery (60103).

Sir Nigel Gresley carried 4498 when built in 1937, became No. 7 in 1946, then 60007 under BR. Why was there some much chopping and changing in

1946?
Reply to
MartinS