Bach 66 will have lights and all-wheel drive...

This on MREmag this morning :

"In response to a query in MREmag, Bachmann have contacted us to say that their new Class 66 diesel will have lights and, moreover, there will be both daytime and night time configuration of them. The model will also have all six axles powered"

Interesting! Now why do this in the 66 and not in the 37, 40 etc??? Perhaps we are about to see Bachmann move up-market in the same way as Hornby have with their 50 and 31...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

"Adrian" wrote

Hi Adrian,

As far as I'm concerned the 66s have always been scheduled to have lights, with only one or two mischief makers on here and elsewhere suggesting otherwise.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Adrian wrote:-

Possibly becuase they intend to market a verison in other countries where standards are higher than in the UK?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

John Turner wrote:-

Would it have been "mischief making" to suggest that the new 37/0 would not have lights even though its predecessor did and to remove them probably cost Bachmann more than leaving them where they were?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Nothing to do with lights, but what it is about the class 66? My modelling is firmly in the archaic era, but I appreciate "classic" diesels such as the Western, 50 etc. I also quite like the design of the class 66, which is deeply worrying, and I find myself looking forward to it's release. WHY????

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"kim" wrote

They were *never* announced as having lights, whereas the 66 was.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Paul Boyd" wrote

Same reason as me probably, you happen to like railways and the 66 is the forseeable future of railfreight.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In 4mm? I doubt it.

Reply to
Adrian

John Turner wrote:-

It seems I missed this announcement, despite being a subscriber to Bachmann's collector magazine.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Yes, a very uninteresting modelling future! Just imagine if there had only ever been the black 5! Ok, it would have been the EWS 5, the GBRF 5, the bin man five etc, but still the one loco! At least for now I have the 60 in various liveries going past the house on steel trains and the odd 37 growl pass occasionally, but modern day modelling as for real loco trains is very boaring, cant stand all these run away coaches with no loco!!

Reply to
piemanlarger

Fazakerley.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I can remember similar things being said about those new loco's that had replaced the black 5 etc., such as the EE3 (class 37).....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"piemanlarger" wrote

Ironically I have one twelve year old customer who is dmu mad! In the last few weeks he (or at least his Dad) has bought a 221 Voyager and an Arriva

158, and has a 170 on order for his birthday in Janurary.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Adrian wrote:-

They already market the ex-WD overseas. A lot of H0 modellers don't care that much if a loco with a relatively small loading gauge is slightly overscale if it represents good value for money. Having invested in the toiling for a 4mm model, Bachmann wil lwant to recoup as much of that investment as possible and one way of doing that is to produce versions in overseas liveries.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Does the tilt actually work (and if so how well)? I'm not fussy about period, but I do like interesting engineering.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

"Mark Thornton" wrote

Supposedly so, but I've not actually tried one myself.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , kim writes

Yes it would. The class 37/0 when it was first introduced in the 1960s didn't use lights in any way like the lights that are used nowadays. Therefore there was no need whatever for Bachmann to supply them with lights. Head- and taillights were ordinary oil-lamps. The lighting level behind the headcode was very dim, almost not worth bothering about.

Reply to
John Sullivan

John Sullivan wrote:-

Is the lighting behind the headcodes on the 37/0 any more dim or any less worth bothering about than the illuminated headcode on the Heljan 47 in two-tone green which I will be running on the same stretch of line?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Not in my recollection ! I don't think I have ever seen an English Electric Type 3 (ie Class 37) with oil headlamps.

Again not in my recollection.

David

Reply to
gwr4090

Never heard of the 'head lamp' (train type, later called route indicating) code ?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::