British OO/HO loco advice please

Hi folks, I'm seeking a bit of advice because I'm now at a stage where after a long interval i want to reeturn to British Railway modeling.

What I really need to know is if modern british model diesels have progressed in the last twenty years, they used to have horn hook coupling, electrical pick up of two wheels, tiny three pole motors and no flywheel drive.

Is it now possible to buy stuff like 29s 31s 37s, 47s 56s, 90s, or the more modern stuff with say twin pole scew wound motors with pick up and drive off all wheels , flywyheels and KD coupler pockets like Atlas and Kato models?

Cheers

Reply to
Burt Gummer

Take a look at the latest Hornby (08/09, 31, 50, 60 others feature older technology), Bachmann and Heljan models which all feature the attributes you list. Lima managed one just before they went bust, class 67, which was not quite up to the standards of the others.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

OK, I've attempted a few answers:

Twin pole skew wound motors: In this case, I am not sure, I believe many of the UK outline diesels of the more recent years still use 3 and 5-pole, non skew wound, even though they now employ a mechanism similar to those of US models.

All wheel pickup: For the more recent diesels, yes, Heljan, Bachmann, yes, some Hornby (08,

31, 50 and soon to be released class 60)

All axle drive: Yes and no, depending on the amount of axles. Bo-Bo's yes, Co-Co's some not, even on the newer models. However, the Bachmann 66, the Hornby 50 and 31 do have all axle drive, while the others have at least two-thirds of the axles driven. Bachmann's configuration is often 1-1-0 0-1-1, Heljan's 1-0-1 1-0-1

Flywheels: In most cases, if not all, yes.

KD coupler pockets: Well, there are NEM pockets, which can take NEM shanked Kadees. However, they are mounted to the bogie, not the body, so if you're into extra details like pipework etc, then use of these pockets will foul the details when the bogie turns for going round curves. Unfortunately the best option is still to have to take the bogie mounted coupling off and screw mount a kadee from either a NEM with the tails cut off and a hole drilled in it (Class 37s particularly need this), or a standard Kadee-type with coupler pocket (easy on 47s).

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"Excellent, cheers Ian.