Bach 66 will have lights and all-wheel drive...

Interesting about the 31 having all six axles powered when the prototype only had 4!!!!

The centre wheel of a 31 bogie is of a slightly smaller diameter than the two outer axles. (3'7 1/2" compared to 3'1") How are Hornby going to sort that out? Incorrect wheel diameter or a change of gear ratio to suit the smaller wheel?

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

37s were commonplace when growing up in Llanelli in the 1960s/70s. The headcode almost always seemed to be 9B81, barely readable as landore didn't seem to bother cleaning their 'mineral engines'. The lights on the front of the loco were generally difficult to distinguish also. However, there was a small pool of locos out-based at Pantyffynnon, and used on Central Wales trips, which had a car-type headlight mounted on a bracket on the nose. These could be identified as far away as the western end of Llandilo Junction when waiting by Llanelli Station (about 1.5 miles), normally welcomed with a groan as all the resident 'spotters' had long-since 'copped' all of them. Brian
Reply to
BH Williams

In my case, lack of familiarity after a gap in interest (and, reflecting a post In Another Place, their very slight resemblance to Bulleid's Leader Class). Slight preference for the likes of a 37 though, even if idling more or less right outside the bedroom window at one in the morning...

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Dickerson

Brian - I share your recollections, as a resident of Carmarthen at the time. The small batch of local boiler fitted Class 37s were very common, and covered most of the loco hauled passenger services west of Swansea after the demise of the Hymeks, and before the Class 33s arrived in the

1980s. I particularly remember D6879-D6892 which were the engines modified for 100mph double-headed operation of Paddington-South Wales/Bristol services for a short while. Pity they were so sluggish at speed. Anything much over 80mph seemed a real struggle. Electric headlamps yes - but I don't ever remember them carrying oil headlamps.

David (Busy renumbering my new green Bachmann EE Type 3 to D6880)

Reply to
gwr4090

In news:cq7p9l$a5a$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk, Mick Bryan blithered:

Personally I'd've thought 6 1/2" was a bit of a substantial difference in diameter!

Reply to
GbH

message

prototype

I don't recall seeing any statement from Hornby that the 31 will be all wheel drive; as you correctly point out the engineering would be a bit challenging! From photos published so far it does appear to have smaller diamter wheels on the middle axles tho.

Reply to
airsmoothed

In that case, I'll go for 6881..The main passenger turn I remember the 37s on was the mail train as, until I left the area in 1973, this and the boat trains were the only regular loco-hauled turns. There usually were a couple of workings of failed 120 units (sometimes with van in tow) hauled by a 37 (or 68er as we tended to call them) every day though. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

It states on the Hornby website that its twin bogie drive, pick-ups on all wheels.

Alan

Reply to
John Rathbone

"John Rathbone" wrote

Pick-up on all wheels is not the same as all-wheel drive.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On or about 2004-12-20, kim illuminated us with:

Might it be because they are using common parts with models for other markets? All but the very cheapest diesels for the US market have had all wheel drive and (usually directional) lights for some years now. My old Bachmann Spectrum DD40AX models have all that.

Reply to
Mark Ayliffe

Really? If you believe some people, the continental Europeans expect far more from their models than we "neverhaditsogood-ers" over here. I'm surprised that they would even give a second look to an overscale OO model. When Bachmann releaced the HO tampers here, their incorrect scale was glaringly obvious. However, I have no reason do doubt your assertions nd of course Bachmann would do whatever they can to increase their unit sales of any model. I'm just surprised that it would stand a chance outside the UK.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Yo

Scroll to the bottom of the following page for a pic of a Class 37 (EE Type

3) with a 'headlamp'

I think it's one of them thar old fashioned oil headlamps too :o)

HTH Merry Ho Ho

Flingel Bells

Reply to
Jingle Bunt

Looks more like a tail lamp to me, the lens looks to dark to be a clear lens....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"Jingle Bunt" wrote

I think it's a tail lamp actually. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yo

Head lamp ~ tail lamp :-/ Can I plead ignorance m'lud? I'm almost too young to have noticed much use of any kind of oil lamps ... unlike yourself ;o)

Ahem, emm, thanks for the correction tho'. One to file away for more accurate modelling! ... so how'd I move the driver in a Bachmann diesel to the cab at the other end when the loco reverses, or do I just stick OO gauge wing-mirrors on the cab sides?!?!? :-o

All the best Merry Ho Ho

Flingel Bells

Reply to
Jingle Bunt

Steve J..., I mean 'Jingle Bunt' wrote:-

a) Buy a turntable b) Build a reversing loop c) Add a second driver d) Pretend the invisible man is driving at the other end e) Add sprung doors a la Hornby 50 and add driver to whichever end is required e) Build one of those 19th century automata where the driver pops up through a trap door depending on the direction of travel

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Yo

Oi! That's almost slander that is ;o) I'm however a member of the most excellent Yahoo group 'Electric Nostril' I'll have you know!! I almost won last months teddy throwing contest but the moderator won it by a throw ... and contrary to what is being rumoured (deleted before being then posted by 'Mr Big') I did trip accidentally on my last teddy throw, it only 'looked like' the moderator tripped me up on purpose, twas a complete accident, of course!! :oD

lol, I was doing a Steve J ;o) but thanks for the ideas! I like 'f' best ... emmm, that's the eh, 2nd 'e' I assume ;o)

All the best Merry Ho Ho

Flingel Bells ~ one of the 'quite happy with what's being released now by Bachmann in UK Steam/Early Diesel brigade'** :o)

**oops! I've blown my cover ... I'm not a 'serious' modeller after all ;o)
Reply to
Jingle Bunt

In message , Jingle Bunt writes

Actually it's a taillamp, but it doesn't change your point.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Oil tail lamps were indeed occasionally used to cover for failed electric tailights on diesel locos working light engine. OIL HEADLAMPS were never used in my experience, but I am happy to be corrected by evidence to the contrary.

David

Reply to
gwr4090

Phil: Perhaps not as 'headlights' byt as route indicators - night time version of the white discs ???

Reply to
Phil