Bachmann LMS Fairburn 2691

First impressions of this loco which arrived at Killiecrankie this week.

It runs very smoothly with only a very tiny wobble, and it will pull 9 Mk1s plus 4 of the new Hornby LMS corridors. Slow running is excellent (on straight DC).

The little Chinese ladies still haven't cracked Walschaerts valve gear though, as this time the return cranks on both sides were wrong way round. Easily fixed with a small screwdriver. Possibly the middle drivers were put in wrong way round which would explain the double error. The front footsteps are not supplied in the pack of bits, though there is an indication of where they fit -- odd! The Bachmann Mucky Duck came with these steps so maybe they got missed out. The smokebox numbers are the wrong font, and a bit too big. No 'SC' marking either on the smokebox door.

Having said all that, this is a superb piece of work which compares very well with my kit built Gibson Stanier 2-6-4T which cost three times as much.

Ten minutes with the RSU making front steps, two minutes transferring SC onto the door, and I will be etching a new numberplate, and with those additions this loco will be indistinguishable from its Stanier mate. Well done Bachmann.

Alistair Wright

Reply to
Alistair Wright

"Alistair Wright" wrote

Agreed - it's a lovely model.

I can only assume that the front steps were omitted because they would limit the swing of the front bogie, and I'd be interested to know what curvature yours will negotiate after you'd manufactured and fitted some for yours.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well it is still odd, since the Duck has the same bogie swing as the Fairburn. My ruling radius is 1.4m and the Duck has no problem with that, nor the Hornby 8F also with steps fitted. No, I think they left them out in error. In any case they are always supplied loose these days so that the Peco brigade can leave them off.

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Wright