Bachmann Toby

I've recently seem some pictures comparing the Bachmann and Hornby Toby's. The Hornby one towers over other OO rolling stock, while the Bachmann one seems quite well matched. Does anyone know if the Bachmann Toby is a reasonable runner, or does it shoot off at high speed like Hornby's 0-4-0s?

Reply to
Gerald H

Is the Bachmann HO?

Reply to
MartinS

If it is anything like their Thomas or Percy it will be a good runner,much better than the Hornby models.

Neil.

Reply to
mumbles

It's freelance. The Hornby one was too big even for freelance.

(glad we could sort that one :-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Yes, who knows what size the "real" Thomas is?

I bought my grandson a Matchbox model of an LA transit bus which is described as 1/87 scale. The width and height might be approximately correct, but it's about half the scale length.

Reply to
MartinS

Or Toby the tram engine, for that matter...

Reply to
MartinS

All of Rev W Awdry's original characters were based on real prototypes. Thomas is an LBSC E2, and Toby is a Wisbech and Upwell Tramway Y6.

Most "Thomas and Friends" models from Hornby are broadly accurate (if imprecise) representations of their prototype origins, at least as far as overall proportions and shape are concerned. The exception seems to be Toby, possibly because a correctly-proportioned Toby would be significantly smaller than the rest of the fleet and hence, to a child, would seem "wrong" even though it's actually right, if you see what I mean.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

ISWYM.

Reply to
MartinS

Is Toby out of proportion in the TV programme?

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

It would be a freelance model so the scale would be fairly academic.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hornby modified the toolong of their LBSCR E2 to produce Thomas. Making sure they could never make of of their better and more detailed models again (the old Hornby that is).

The 4-wheeled carriags are totally wrong - modern profiles shortened to fit a 4-wheeled chassis. They should be lower and narrower, with more compartments.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

I have no idea; I've never watched it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

Don't worry about scale, now that the Americans are producing the new Thomas series, in America, anything could happen. They just wont be the same without the Liverpudlian accent.

The ones used in the Shepperton Studios productions were about O gauge, I wonder what happened to those ?

I think the Bachmann 'Thomas' range is for the American market so HO ?

Another British tradition gone up in smoke, no pun intended.

Reply to
Dragon Heart

"Dragon Heart" wrote

Some of the USA 'Thomas' range models are sold in the UK as OO-scale starter locos, so although they are marketed at HO-scale in the USA, but as they are very much freelance models they cannot be produced to a definitive scale.

Interesting also is the fact that the Bachmann UK OO-scale model of the GWR 'Hall' is sold in the USA as a HO-scale 'Hogwarts Castle'.

So perhaps we should be defining these items as OO/HO-scale???

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Isn't that where Triang started - 00/H0? I'm sure the old boxes had that on, and I seem to remember my grandfather explaining it meant

00 trains on HO track.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Ringo hasn't done the narration since 1989. It was announced in July 2007 that former James Bond actor Pierce Brosnan would take over narration duties for the next 3 series.

More than you ever wanted to know about Thomas and his Friends at:

MartinS

The original Rovex/Tri-ang/Hornby-Tr-ang 4-6-2 was more or less, sort of, HO scale.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter