Bristol Model Railway Exhibition

The Bristol show is this weekend.

and as the wife is highly unlikely to drop a sprog during the show this year, I may actually get to see a bit more of it.... :)

Pete (with a happy birthday to the little 'un on sunday)

Reply to
mutley

"mutley" wrote

You gone into retirement?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Research and Development is ongoing, but the production line has definitely closed ;)

Pete

Reply to
mutley

The pipeline has been severed, has it?

Reply to
MartinS

oh no, still working to manufacturers specifications.

The last four years has seen two kids and two miscarriages, and I've only known the wife five years in total. That'll do for me. However, I'm not brave enough to have my danglies attacked by a masked man with a knife just yet. It takes me six months to psych myself up for a visit to the dentist.

Anyway. Went to the exhibition tonight after work. Very friendly people, very well run exhibition. Great shopping for stuff I've been wanting to get for ages (Pikestuff, Knightwing, Greenscene, B&H)

But sadly only one layout that floated my particular boat: Iron Mould Lane. Lots of great modelling elsewhere, just not my kind of thing, although thankfully there was a distinct lack of GWR branch lines. (hurrah!!)

I met up with my dad there and typically he was hooked on one of the few GWR layouts that was there: Bodmin. He chewed the ear of the operator for ages, then went back twice and chewed it some more.

I have to (sadly) say. That was the most disappointing exhibition I've been to for quite some time :(

Pete

Reply to
mutley

I have to agree about Ironmould Lane. Best layout there by a long way - so many really authemtic touches.

The only thing I could question was the advertisement for Marston's beer on a Bristol bus. I do not recall Marston's being available within the Bristol Omnibus Company local route system until CAMRA opened the 'Old Fox' in the early 70's. Sank many a pint of 'Pedigree' subsequent to that event.....

Antonius

On 30/04/2005 09:11, Antonius wrote,

You could be accused of being pedantic :-)

Came back from the exhibition a couple of hours ago. How on earth can Cefn Gam not float anyone's boat!!!! Definitely layout of the show for me. Not impressed by Penfold Priory, who's operator had to hold several point blades closed with a finger to keep things moving - and this was

7mm scale. Kingdom's Crossing is an excellent layout, and I haven't tired of seeing it yet. I'm not sure if the dinosaur was correct scale though! This year I took my own lunch to avoid the notoriously slow moving queues for food, but finally they have resolved that problem by having a second counter. Well done to the organisers for sorting this.

Anyway, I enjoyed the show, despite a knee that was whinging before I set off, and is now the size of a melon!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"mutley"

is that the "n" one that has been round the Southern circuit for a couple of years? last i saw they were talking about adding lines through to Padstow.

anything happen?

ken

Reply to
Ken Wilson

Always, always pedantic regarding good beer !!!!!

I quite understand, my left ankle is in "hobble" mode, and my wallet is rather light.....

Surely there is an 'e' in 'whingeing' - it is needed to soften the 'g'

- or is 'whinging' a colloquial term with a differing meaning ? 'Pain' rather than 'complaint' ?

Best wishes

Antonius

On 01/05/2005 08:24, Antonius wrote,

My wallet was light before I entered the show, but my credit card gained a little weight!

Er, yes, there should have been!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Look on the bright side, Mrs Wilson is currently a week overdue (with our third), haven't had a chance to go to the club for over a month and to make matters worse she appears to think that spending money on baby things is more important than the track for my new garage layout!

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Chris Wilson writes

But track _is_ "baby things".

Hope (s)he comes along soon.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

No, sorry, this one was in OO.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

Hard luck! My brother's wife just dropped a sprog well over a week late. Very frustrating for all involved as life simply goes on 'hold' while awaiting the big event.

As for the modelling budget, well, yeah, mine evaporated too. So I convinced the wife that we could do with a better digital camera to record the new baby with instead ...(ratio of railway photos to baby photos has probably come in at 10:1 har har.... :) )

Pete

Reply to
mutley

"mutley" >

Don't be sorry - i now have something new to look forward to!

ken

Reply to
Ken Wilson

Not what SWMBO thinks :-(

It's a "he", the scan was as clear as day ... he takes after his dad. ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Oh tell me about it, we're off to the hospital tomorrow for them to have a poke around and if that doesn't do the trick it's back in on Friday to be induced. She's pulling her hair out, Mk2 was born at home and she wanted Mk3 the same way ... late running under BR ... time to privatise methinks ;-)

One of my jobs at work is to look after our more exotic stores ... we've just been given a couple of new Sony digital handicams. Clearly I'll have to bring it home to make sure I know how to work it ... to show the others in the office of course ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson