Class 03 skirt question

Sorry chaps, cant access my books and Google cant find a pic of the 03 with side skirts on - anyone know of an on line pic of same, I need to check the detail on the skirts themselves.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

wrote

Were there actually any 03s with side skits? I was under the impression that only class 04s were so fitted, and if they're what you really want there's a couple on my

website - see

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I can't recall any 03's with skirts only 04's on the W&U, Ipswich docks and Yarmouth docks. The other diesel class with skirts was the Hunslet 153hp

0-4-0's originally 11500-2 later D2950-2 withdrawn 1967.
Reply to
John Shelley

My mistake - 'twas the 04 not the 03 (although I cannot tell tham apart other than by the chimney)

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

The 03 has a bump infront of the cab on the bonnet (A larger fuel tank) and larger cab windows to the side (although this may not be across all the class) and on the 03 the cab door window is lower and not parallel to the cab sliding windows.

I wouldn't go on chimneys, some 03's had the "witches hat" instead of the flower pot.

How many horns are on the cab front can sometime give it away. The 04 usually only has 1, where as at least our 03 had 2. (again, this may not be the case across the whole class)

Andy

My mistake - 'twas the 04 not the 03 (although I cannot tell tham apart other than by the chimney)

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Many thank John, just what I needed - The roof looks a bit different I see. Will have a go.

Thanks again.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Not to mention that within the 04's there are many variations on cabs and exhausts (chimneys), and only some of those were skirted. Its a mistake which (at least) one etch designer made and put skirts on the wrong cabs. As he's a responsible etch designer, he withdrew the wrong items for re-working.

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Both D2281 and D2282 were tramway fitted for working on the Ipwich dock lines and they had the later standard cab.

I have been trying to pin down the exact dates so any comments welcome.

David

Reply to
davidcharlesworth

Thanks for the info, I will need to look a bot more closely at the materials I have to hand. I based the original sketches on the 03, so the 04 could be all to blazes from what you have said.

Fortunately the purpose of the sketches is as a simple 'know your enemy chart' for beginners, they are not intended to assist people building models.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike