Class 33 diesels

As I mainly model the Southern Region [Early BR timescale] I looked forward to the release of the Heljan version of the Crompton. What puzzles me is the curious green livery on the body of "Eastleigh". Surely the white waistline (which actually seems a little thin on the model) was carried on over the cab door and around the front of the original? When the yellow warning panel was introduced, I remember this as being a smaller rectangular panel below the trimline, rather than the 'full frontal' approach. Similarly, I don't recall the cab side window frames being painted yellow until blue livery days. Clearly I could be wrong in this, but recent internet research seems to bear me out so far. Is this possibly the livery was copied from a preserved version?

Reply to
jasper_goat

wrote

Not one for you I'm afraid, this is a modern *recreation* of BR green livery and is not intended to depict a loco from the period you're modelling. The name 'Eastligh' should really have given the game away - there were no named class 33s in the pre-blue era.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If I remember correctly 33008 carried two possibly 3 versions of green from June 1986 the livery you describe was the itermediate livery before it was changed to small yellow warning panel and continued the white stripe around the front. I am sure Lima released 33008 in its two versions.

Nick

Nick Gurney

Thanks for the information, folks. Isn't it rather starnge that Heljan should pick a 'one-off' hybrid livery than major on a standard version? They're usually pretty good on pre-grouping accuracy , including the BR 'green period' steam locos. It seems that the 'Ghost of Margate' hasn't been fully excorcised yet.

Hey-ho, looks like yet another airbrush job!

Reply to
jasper_goat

So what steam locos exactly have Heljan done a good job on? Keith

Reply to
Keith

Be aware, the Heljan model (apart from the fact that the roof is way too flat to live with anyway) is based upon the later versions with the modified roof exhaust silencer and other details. If you are looking at respraying one in the original green/small warning panel livery, be careful as to which you choose as most green ones had the earlier roof style until the advent of the blue era. I think there were some green ones that had their roofs modified and retained green livery but as usual caution and consultation of photographic evidence is advised.

The old Lima model had the earlier original style of roof detail (albeit they got the fan grille too small - easily fixed though) but at least they got the curvature of the roof right.

I am hoping that when (if?) Heljan do the earlier version of the 33 (and the

26/27 for that matter) it will be a new bodyshell tooling with the awful flat roof fixed. Otherwise I may have to consider a detailed upgraded Lima body shell on a Heljan chassis at some point.

Regards John M Upton

My Fotopic Collections: South Central/Southern, Model Railway & Other Rail Pictures:

Bus Pics:

JMUpton2000

In message , Keith writes

And what pre-nationalisation, let alone pre-grouping, stuff has Heljan produces, let alone done a pretty good job on?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

They have done some Danish stuff, but not sure whether that qualifies? Their O-gauge 'Hymek' is soo coooool!

John.

Reply to
John Turner