Class 66 diesel

You remember, those awful North American diesels of a several years ago?

The ones that just couldn't possible be as good as UK diesels?

The shoddy North American built ones?

At least, according to uk.railway back when they were announced and first being introduced.

That's when everyone found out that they could be landed at dockside, prepped and _Driven_ away from the docks and put straight into service without the days of fussing and farting around that was typical of the introduction of all UK manufactured diesels.

From what I gather, they are the most useful and reliable locos on the railways.

Yes sir. North American diesels, designed to operate 24/7 and be serviced with a large wrench and a hammer. :-)

Too bad they weren't named after Canadian places and people.

Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Do I sense a modicum of gloating, RRoger? ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Enzo Matrix"

A modicum of gloat? It's a full blown Gloat, with a dash of "I told you so!" thrown in for good measure. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

In message , Roger T. writes

Tis a sad day (one of many) when the colonials beat us at our own game.

But heh, when the Empire rises again (strikes back?) all will be well with the world again.....

FX: Pulls on the Khakis, the long socks and puts on his Pith helmet....

:-)

Reply to
James Christie

"Roger T." wrote

Why is a Canadian gloating over a USA designed product? Alright I know they're built in Canada and are a pretty good product, and I've even got a soft spot for them, but they are sooooooo boooring! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

But they still can't pull the skin off a rice pudding when compared to 60's. The only time I've seen a train stall on the 1/120 by my back door was a 66. The only way to get it going was to summon another driver to come along and start up the one on the back of the train............

60's are positively capable of accelerating their trains on the uphill by my back door.

And the cab doors are already rusting away on a 66. Crap pre-paint preparation. :-)

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

Okay, I'm genuinely ignorant here. Was any UK manufacturer even asked to produce a loco with similar operational characterisitcs to the GM?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

They always remind me of Mr. Bulleid's Leader class locos but they sound at times like an old Hotpoint twin-tub washing machine on the spin cycle.

They must be fast though 'cos the EWS ones round our way seem to be getting fitted with mirrors and when I enquired of a shunter at Edge Hill what the mirrors were for he said they for overtaking!

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy

Boooring they may be. However, like almost all North American diesels and most unlike the majority of UK diesels, they work first time, every time.

As for the American product, are most so called "British" cars built by American owned companies?

Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

But Mick, they were never meant to be compared to a 60!!! ;o)

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

Like Daimler-Chrysler?

Most of the "American" cars seen in Britain are imported from Canada.

Reply to
MartinS

Brian Mulroney? Sheila Copps? Jean Chrétien? Preston Manning? Stockwell Day? Saskatoon? Medicine Hat? Mississauga? Restigouche? Placentia? Victoria??

Reply to
MartinS

Come By Chance?

Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

No, I came on purpose.

Reply to
MartinS

'Ere... wot group are we in? ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

message

Hi John, I know that, but many others don't. Especially when 66 is a larger number than 60, which (sort of) assumes that a 66 is better than a 60. The sheds were meant as a "go-anywhere" cheapie option that could be obtained reasonably quickly.

If you look way back in the archives somewhere, I once predicted that there would be a modified 66 to haul heavier trains and not long after that, the

66/6's were announced!!

Traction was sacrificed for operational distance, as lighter electrical transmission components were used to allow large fuel tanks to be carried. How long before a few 66's are rebuilt with 59 style heavy rated electric transmission systems? 66901 anyone??

Even the older 59's are far more capable at load-lugging than a 66 - but they are still not as good as a 60, as trials on the Port Talbot-Llanwern iron ore trains proved.

When the "old" BR wanted some heavy-haul locos, they simply re-issued the 59 specification. Brush/Mirrlees won the contract, not on new build loco cost, but on the whole life cost of the loco, including fuel and maintenance. Principally on the fuel because the Mirrlees engine is particularly fuel efficient, when compared to the cr*ppy GM gas-guzzlers.

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

"Mick Bryan" wrote

A usually reliable source has suggested that EWS are in need of some heavy haul freight locos. The original concept was that a number of class 60s would be re-engined with GM power plants, but it is now being said that this would not be cost-effective.

The current thinking is for a new batch of GM built 4,000hp locomotives, which are likely to be alloacted TOPS class 68.

Watch this space.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Bryan Adams? :-S

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Yeah, the guy from Kingston ON who ran afoul of Canadian Content rules.

Reply to
MartinS

William Shatner?!? Shania Twain....?

Reply to