Container Shackles

Is anyone aware of drawings and / or photos which would be of use when producing castings of the hooks, chains, springs and screw adjusters used to attach containers to CONFLATS?

... or, even better, where one might find a prototype set of fixings?

John Isherwood.

Reply to
John Isherwood

John,

The OPC books on LMS wagons has a section on containers with a good few photographs. I'm away from home at the moment, but I'll be able to check exactly what is there when I get back tomorrow.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Reply to
Stretch

Well, I've had time to do a bit of research in my wagon reference books.

By far the most common form of container shackle, in both pre- and post-Nationalisation photos, is in the form of a small screw coupling with chains and hooks attached; ie. the adjustable section comprises a central threaded rod / tommy-bar with both left and right-handed screws joining two D-loops. More modern versions feature a (rubber?) shock absorber in the linkage.

The shackles used for the BR CONFLATS L seem to have been slightly different, in that the centre adjustable link is threaded at either end for left and right-handed screws. I've come across these fittings in non-railway applications; you insert a tommy-bar into a slot in the central link and turn it to take up the slack.

Anyway, for my purposes I'm going to need an awful lot of small screw couplings; 3mm. scale would be ideal for my 4mm. scale CONFLATS, were such an item available. Any 3mm. scale modellers out there know of a suitable product?

It has been pointed out to me that Roxey lists an etched load shackle for use with small chain; I'll be getting hold of some to see if they resemble what I'm seeking.

Anyway, thanks to those who've responded to my query.

Regards, John Isherwood.

Reply to
John Isherwood