Curved bridge

:
[ re steel bridge spans ] : > : > Prototypically, a span can't be curved, because the center would be : > outside : > the supporting points at the ends and would roll over. : > The prototype gets over that problem in several different ways that : > I am aware of: : > - very short straight spans. : > - wider straight spans so that the track can curve from inside to : > outside : > to inside on a single span. : : Wouldn't it be possible to support the centre of the curved span, to : prevent it rolling over?
Then there is little to no point in having a curved structure and all the complications, one would just use two (shorter) straight spans - as they do... Duh! :~)
Reply to
Jerry
ed
Mould your own masonry sections. Various resources on the web and in book. One method is to make a tray from a thin flat lego base (the ones that are slightly flexible) with a lip of bricks around it. Add a layer of plasticene and impress your masonry pattern into it. Pour in plaster of paris, incorporating some strengthening if neccessary. The beauty is you can dis-assemble the lego mould to get the cast piece out easily.
MBQ
Reply to
manatbandq
[...]
[...]
That's what a curved masonry/concrete arch bridge does. John Dennis's Australian example works for this reason, too: the curve is slight, so that the center of moment (as far as I can tell) lies within the footprint of the straight span between the piers. A straight span in its place would be have to be much wider, hence heavier and more expensive.
cheers, wolf k.
Reply to
Wolf K
You could try :-
Model Railroad Bridges & Trestles: A Guide to Designing and Building Bridges for Your Layout

Kalmbach 12452 The Model Railroader's Guide to Bridges, Trestles & Tunnels.
We are talking 'OO' ? If it's 'N' then try Kato N Scale Unitrack
This Curved Wood Trestle Kit looks OK but a bit TOO American
Chris
Reply to
Dragon Heart
"Bridges for Modellers" is very good and relates everyhting to the prototype. No idea if it covers curved examples.
MBQ
Reply to
manatbandq
"Graham Harrison" wrote
No kit that I'm aware of, but you might like to take a look at this British example of a curved bridge:-
I don't think there's anything uncommon about curved bridges or viaducts, it's just one part of railway infrastructure that is rarely photographed.
One problem with producing a kit of a curved bridge would be deciding on the many variables possible. For starters let's conside
a) method of construction (stone, brick, steel etc)? b) track radius? c) single, double or mult-track?
I guarantee that is a manufacturer produced one, it wouldn't satisfy but a small section of the market.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
: > : >
: A junction on a viaduct! Lovely! :
Especially when a collision occurs, Google the Irk Valley Junction accident on 15 Aug 1953 to see what I mean! :~(
Reply to
Jerry
Just seen on the N gauge Yahoo group that there was an article about curved viaduscts in the April 2008 Railway Modeller.
HTH
MBQ
Reply to
manatbandq