Dapol OO gauge Pendolino Traction Tyres

I have just checked my old Pendolino, which always was a rough runner, and was reminded that I had removed the damaged remnants of the traction tyres as a result of reading that this would improve conductivity.

It may have improved current flow but did absolutely nothing for smooth running as the groove in the wheels is so wide.

I would like to obtain replacement tyres but as they are not available from Dapol, I am wondering whether anyone knows from personal experience, which other make might fit.

I had thought of trying Hornby traction tyres but there is a bewilderingly wide range such as M1144, S8318, X5856, X6030, X6121, X8030, X8063, X8101, X8331, X8439, X8442, X8461, X9064, X9721 X9238,

Fitted, their diameter would appear to be 9.9mm internal, 11.0mm external, so a slightly smaller size would probably stretch to fit.

I have also considered filling the groove with Bullfrog Snot but I cannot find a UK supplier at present. The former eBay supplier seems to have disappeared.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Dave W

Reply to
Riddles

SNIP - I cann't help on replacement tyres

Have you thought of using an electically conductive epoxy resin to fill the grooves eg:

A bit expensive and you will need to reprofile the wheels, but should also improve electrical pickup.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

From: "Alan Dawes" Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 1:29 PM Newsgroups: uk.rec.models.rail Subject: Re: Dapol OO gauge Pendolino Traction Tyres

Thanks for the suggestion Alan.

At £42.80 a shot, it's probably about as much as the unit is worth. At the moment I am experimenting with heat shrink tubing. Unfortunately a perfect insulator, but probably no worse than the rubber/neoprene originals although not such a good grip.

Dave W

Reply to
Riddles

Can you get replacements, any old diesels use same size/fittings ? Sure I saw an ad or review of Bullfrog Snot (remember it was called Snot but not the Bullfrog bit) in one of the model mags in the last couple of months so perhaps theres a new supplier.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Thank you Simon but my original post did ask if anyone knew which other loco's tyres would fit.

Reply to
Riddles

Hi Dave,

I've had European models since 1959, almost all with traction tyres.

I keep a small supply of Marklin tyres (three sizes available, from large wheeled steam down to Dieasels) which fit almost everything and almost never wear out. Some brands use a smaller cross section tyre and for those I use Roco tyres. Roco does about 5 different diameters in two thicknesses. Again, they last almost forever unless badly abused with sharp impliments.

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

Tis a pleasure. My post was intended to broaden the topic in the hope generate answers for my own use. Wellcome to usenet - its not just about you :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Thanks Greg,

When I am next near a Roco/Marklin dealer I must try to get a small selection. Hopefully someone at the Glasgow show at the end of the month will be able to help.

Dave W.

Reply to
Riddles

A couple of years ago I was in the Engine Shed model railway shop in Leytonstone and was able to get some traction tyres for an old Dapol O-4-2 tank - at that time he had quite a selection of spares. You could try ringing 02085393950 to see if he has what you need.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Thanks to everybody who provided potentially useful suggestions.

I have now discovered that Lima (Italy) tyres can be fitted. There are only

2 sizes, and it is the small ones which fit. In actual fact I needed to put two on each wheel but this has worked well.

My eBay supplier was "dopeysam", actually Kenneth Taylor, who provided a very quick service.

Searching eBay for "Lima Traction Tyres" failed to find him but simply "Lima Tyres" did.

I have no connection with Mr Taylor other than as a very satisfied customer

Reply to
Riddles

The pre-Hornby traction tyres were attrocious! They added very little to the tractive effort of Lima's locomotives and had a relatively limited lifespan. Ma and Roco are much superior.

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

I am sure you are right Greg but it was rather easier to find the Lima sized replacements to try, than a selection of Marklin/Roco.

It surprises me that the situation is different in New Zealand.

The replacements I have obtained seem rather more durable than those from Vicenza but it remains to be seen how long they last. At least the Pendo will now run.

Dave W.

Reply to
Riddles

I buy from Britain, Germany and the US, depending on what the item is. Because there are so few NZ shops and they stock so little at high prices, I tend to stock-pile things like tyres, fishplates ...

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter