Favorite diesel

And before anyone offers 'a scrapped one' (Simon?) I'be be interested in people's opinion.

My top three would be:

  1. Deltic (Class 55)
  2. English Electric Type 3 (Class 37)
  3. Hymek (Class 35).

John.

Reply to
John Turner

  1. Deltic.
  2. Class 20
  3. Either class 14 or 17, I can't make my mind up. (Come on Heljan, I'm fed up waiting!)

Badger

Reply to
Badger
  1. Western
  2. Hymek
  3. I WANT A CLASS 14 !! ...please?

What? You mean there's something other than hydraulics?

Steve

Reply to
sb

Western (Don't know the class number).

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote

Class 52.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

Beaten me to it!

Mine would be:

  1. 10000 (or 10001) [a) they're LMS, and b) they were the first.]
  2. 10203 (or 10201 or 10202) [Couldn't match a semi on the Royal Scot, but they coped reasonably well]
  3. Class 37 [Regarded here as honorary 8Fs]
Reply to
David Jackson

  1. The GWR Flying Banana (the curved fronted "real banana)
  2. The early Sentinel rebuilds
  3. The later, angular GWR railcars

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"John Turner" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

  1. Hymek
  2. Deltic
  3. Fell ... closely followed by all the type 1 odd-balls
Reply to
Chris Wilson

If we're going to include railcars how about this:

It still had its' diesel engine!

Reply to
Graham Harrison

It actually held the world rail speed record for a while.

It was a test for high speed rail in the North East corridor.

But the transmission was disabled.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

But it still had the diesel engine! :-) And, I suspect it was running because the unit was stopped using the normal Budd brakes.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

It sounds rather frightening. It reached more than 180mph. In a vehicle designed for more than 100mph less than that. On ordinary poor quality American track.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

  1. Class 31
  2. Class 45
  3. Class 25

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

totally unfair of you to suggest I would spoil the party with a comment like that - anyway one that was never built is even better. :-)

However if we must have them then :-

  1. LMS 10000/1 cos they were LMS.
  2. Class 37 cos his nibs has one and its a nice looking model (on its own).
  3. Deltic as its the only other one can think of.

As an aside its a pity the £500 10000's were made as bet lots of people like me who prefer steam would have bought one but not at that price.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote

I haven't read the article, but the track in the NW Corridor of the USA is/was typically on a par with European track.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Terrifying. I have a picture of someone standing next to it with a crash helmet in his hand; as if that would have done any good!

Reply to
Graham Harrison

(NE?)

That wasn't where they tested it. It was between Butler, Indiana, and Stryker, Ohio.

I've travelled on the NE corridor from Newark to Washington and back, on the old Pennsylvania main line. The trains are fast but apart from the Acela the carriages are the same old same old used on a lot of other Amtrak services, flats and all.

On my last trip the conductor came into the carriage to tell us to move into the next one because there was rain ahead and this one leaked.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote

Yes, sorry.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

At least you got a warning!

Reply to
MartinS

When it started I popped back to see how bad it was.

I never rode in a BR carriage that leaked liked that. Water pouring in.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee