feedback controller and DCC

Prototype. A good model of which can be made from the Bachmann 2-8-0.

Model. Scroll down to CV #451 to see a model of the above that also looks a lot like the Bachmann 2-8-0.

Can't seem to find any more CV 2-8-0 photos on the web.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

There was an article about such a kitbash in Model Railroader a few years back, IIRC. The end result was quite a handsome looking engine - but I do wish the CV had centered the on the smokebox door, the bracket! :-)

Good link. Nice models. I especially like the rakish 4-6-2 numbered 231. Seems an appropriate choice, to me it looks a little "French"!

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

John, and any others interested,

An HO scale drawing of the Illinois Central 900 class, taken from Kalmbach's "Locomotive Cyclopedia #1", is at:

Photos of these engines are at:

I'll post some locos from other roads, that are similar to the Bachmann model, in a day or so.

All the best,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Newton

"Mark Newton"

Yep, that was a good article.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

In message , Roger T. writes

That firebox sure looks strange, with a wheel-arch for the trailing driven axle built into it.

Reply to
John Sullivan

The ashpan has a wheel-arch, not at all unusual on US locos that have a wide firebox above the coupled wheels. The foundation bar - the bottom structural element of the firebox - is straight on these engines.

Reply to
Mark Newton

John, and any others interested,

Here are some other US 2-8-0s similar to the prototype of the Bachmann

2-8-0. They all have coupled wheels in the 60" to 64" range, and could be kitbashed with varying degrees of effort.

shows a Baltimore & Ohio E-27, with 64" coupled wheels. Most of the roads in the Northeast had fairly restrictive loading gauges, so a kitbash would include lowering the funnel and domes, and the cab roof.

shows a Frisco engine with 60" coupled wheels. Here the loading gauge was more generous, so a kitbash would include taller boiler mountings and cab. Also, the loco is an oil-burner.

show examples of the Missouri Pacific's 1-class engines with 63" wheels. These were rebuilt over a lengthy period, and featured numerous detail differences between class members. 1-class engines could be either coal or oil fired. The boiler would require some reworking to emphasise its taper.

shows an ex-Cloverleaf engine, as later owned by the NKP as their class G-9. These long-lived engines had 61" coupled wheels. A model would only require minimal alteration from the stock Bachmann model.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Ah, that explains it. Thanks.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"John Sullivan"

Actually, the fire box is over the wheels. What's hiding the trailing wheel is the ash pan clean out. That curved looking piece attached to the bottom of the firebox with the two access doors, for cleaning out the ash, on the side.

In North America, crews didn't go under the engine to clean out the ash pan. They cleaned out the ashpan using long rakes and pressured water, using those access doors to reach the ash.

As an aside, enginemen in North American NEVER prepared nor disposed of engines as they had to in the UK.

Engine preparation, from fire lighting to raising steam, to coaling or filling the oil bunker, to filling the sand boxes and to greasing and or oiling, was done by a "hostler" and his crew of labourers.

Engine disposal, clean ash pans, dropping the fire, stabling etc., were also the bailiwick of the "hostler".

Out on the road, the fireman would tend the fire and fill up the tank as required at water stops, while the engineer (driver) would tend the engine and oil around as required. However, if the engine required coaling, or having the oil bunker refilled, this work was not done by the engine crew but by the coaling tower crew, or oil tender.

Coupling to and uncoupling from a train or any piece of rolling stock was not done by the engine crew. They stayed in the cab. Coupling and uncoupling was the responsibility of the brakemen, one of whom road in the cab (The headend brakemen) and it was his job to couple and uncouple the engine as well as to line the switches (points) while enroute or during switching (shunting).

Yes, the enginemans' job in North America was easier than the same job in the UK and paid better into the bargain, as it still probably is and does.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

"Mark Newton"

Excellent Mark. Thanks

Given me some ideas for more kitbashing of my five Bachmann 2-8-0s.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

I'm glad you like 'em! Keep us posted on your progress, eh?

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

"Mark Newton" wrote

I was indeed, and thanks to all who have supplied me with some *very* useful information. Much appreciated.

John.

Reply to
John Turner