Half Slips and Double Slips

In message , Terry Flynn writes

The same thing applies to a diamond crossing, which is a slip without the slip roads.

On the prototype any diamond crossing/slip with an angle greater than 1 in 9 is constructed with movable blades at the K crossings, because of the danger of wheels taking the wrong road. On the lines out of Charing Cross and London Bridge almost every diamond crossing and slip is of this type. I notice that a large part of the middle of these diamond crossings and slips has been liberally painted in whitewash, no doubt to warn track maintenance staff of the dangers of these movable blades.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In UK practice the minimum angle for a diamond with fixed Ks was 1:8 (note larger numbers means smaller angles) in bullhead track. Modern practice in flat bottom rail is a minimum of 1:7.5 so 1:8 would also be built with movable blades, ie. a switch diamond. Keith

Reply to
Keith

Its actually to try and reduce the effects of heat from the sun on the rails. The tollerances for switched diamonds are marginal at best and so even something minor like the expansion of the rail in the sun (in jointed track) can cause failures.

HTH Jeff.

Reply to
jeff mcghie

In message , Keith writes

Sorry, you're right. I meant 1 in 8.

Incidentally, with "short-angle diamonds" (those with crossing angle less than 1 in 2) all the running rails through the diamond are vertical, rather than inclined at 1 in 20 as usual.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , jeff mcghie writes

Yes it does. I knew there had to be a "proper" reason for it.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Standard 113A flatbottom rail design is for vertical rails within all switch and crossing work, the newer CEN60 and older flatbottom designs are (were) inclined thou.

Jeff.

Reply to
jeff mcghie

Getting confused here. Do you mean angles less than 1 in 2, or angles of

1 in less than 2? The former doesn't make sense to me, but I may be missing something.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

That's the way it was written in the source I took it from.

It's the second of your options. 1 in 2 is an angle of 26 1/2 degrees, so "less than 1 in 2" means "more than 26 1/2 degrees"

Try using parentheses, as in (less than 1) in 2, for example 0.5 in 2 which is equivalent to 1 in 4. We don't express "1 in n" angles that way, so it isn't that, but we could if we wanted to, and lots of people would get confused.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Right. It would never occur to me to say an angle of less than x in y when I meant a larger angle. Would you care to identify your source if you can recall it?

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Usefull spread sheet Terry , thankyou. It may be semantics but for my money there are only check rails on the K crossing. I've had a look at my slips today, built with home made gauges, and the dimensions are identical after two plus years outside. I cannot see how they are more difficult to get right. But I am using coarse O and the original poster may have talking 16.5mm, which could be more fiddly.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

GWR Switch and Crossing Practice, by David J Smith

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Thankyou Jane. I'll take a trip to ABE books and see if I can find a copy.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Hi Ken,

Full details at:

regards,

Martin.

---------- email: snipped-for-privacy@templot.com web:

Martin Wynne

Thanks Martin, ABEbooks couldn't offer anything.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Ugh. Tell me about it! My Dad and I had one fail at an exhibition, albeit not on a double slip (which caused another nightmare in another show). Luckily, the point wasn't crucial to the operation of the layout and failed at a time when nobody was watching. It still took a lot of faffing about by myself and a jewellers' screwdriver to 'persuade' the spring back into its place.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell