Home for Layout?

SWTSMBO and the boys keep on about me building a model railway layout for them in the roof, I'm not keen on putting such things in the roof, don't want Velux's to have suitable escapes etc.....And its a truss roof so loadings would be an issue.

So I'm thinking of putting a shed up for them, not a wooden one as they don't last (Oak's and poor access behind doesn't help) beyond 5-10 years , so I've been looking a sectional concrete one (better for security too). For what they cost new, and seeing them for not much in the ad's I'm wondering if a garage could be reused with panels instead of the big door? As it would be smaller than most garages probably using the original parts? Anyone done this? Anyone got a vertical panel garage going cheap/free in the South Hants area?

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

In news:_COVc.969$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net, Badger blithered:

Try ebay.....

Reply to
GbH

Try getting a "good" quality shed - don't go to B&Q. I've lined mine with poly foam insulation and clad the inner walls with 4mm plywood. It's also fitted with a little wall heater with an "anti-frost" setting that can turn on at about 2 deg C to prevent condensation. Concrete structures will probably require more insulation and suffer more from condensation. Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

yearly dose of Cuprinol............

Reply to
Mick Bryan

Have, begger all there locally...

Reply to
Badger

Will line with celotex, timber (true hardwoods excepted) won't last, BTDT twice!

Reply to
Badger

Great stuff, our conservatory has lasted 11 years with it, just (needs some new bits), but that has good access and isn't under the trees, where the shed's going it will be tight into a corner and under trees, no access for treating....Existing shed has very restricted access and has rotted where trees have dumped leaves, cats have used as clawing post etc etc

Reply to
Badger

In message , Mick Bryan writes

... and may require planning permission, whereas a wooden on won't.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Hi Niel

Built 13 ft by 8ft 6in concrete panel buiding based on a garage in

1982. This has required minimum maintenance and with insulation low running costs. Main problem is summer heat, when we get it!!!

Contact me off list for further details

regards

Tony Cane

Reply to
tc

Chap I know worked as a fiberglasser so he built a shed and clad it in resin (no matting just the resin). That was about twenty years ago and AFAIK its still standing, securely attached to the building it leant against by the resin. Not cheap but effective - He had to fit a vent because you couldnt slam the door closed. If anyone is interested I can ask him for the details of the resin used and thoughs he has on the matter.

Regds

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Sectional temp. building far enough from the house not to require PP according to the planning officer.

Reply to
Badger

My shed is seven years old in wet and windy Cumbria, the only damage so far is from a woodpecker which is tearing the edges off to get at insects, just fifteen feet from the house!

What about a cheap ally caravan or a container off the back of a lorry. The nice thing about the caravan is that you can lock the blighters out at night when they start coming home drunk :)

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Windy=dries out wet bits?

Nice idea, no access though and SWTSMBO isn't keen on old caravans/landrover ambulance bodies etc, nor am I. But I like the idea of somewhere to sleep, not sure how it would work with a 00 layout as well....

Reply to
Badger