Hornby Acquisition of Lima Now Approved

Gregory Procter wrote:-

The Co-Op tried a cut price N-gauge starter outfit a few years ago but it didn't sell and the remaining sets were sold off at cost price. I even have doubts about that DCC starter set with the freelance steam engines. Teenagers would rather have an authentic Class 66 or Turbostar.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , Roger T. writes

Actually, maybe we should translate "premium" out of marketing-speak into English. The English word for "premium" is "expensive".

Reply to
John Sullivan

It's all there in the Lima/Rivarossi/Jouef range!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Ohh, I thought US "Premium" meant normal, everyday, average, cooking products in english.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Yes, these days "Premium" has come to mean cheap and nasty - decent stuff has to be "Mega", "Ultra", "Platinum" or some such.

Reply to
MartinS

The "Rolls Royce of ..." :-(

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"kim" wrote

Hornby are planning to purchase "certain assets of Lima" which may or may not include the Lima UK tooling, but it has always been considered that their main interest was to expand their sphere of operation into mainland Europe and the USA.

The Rivarossi Group is far more than the Lima UK product range.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Or, for patriotic Americans, "The Cadillac of ..."

Reply to
MartinS

Didn't they die with Elvis?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

He was supposed to be coming to my local supermarket but he didn't turn up!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Elvis is dead?

Ronnie

-- Volunteer guard on the Great Central Railway, Loughborough, Leicestershire Visit the world's only double track preserved steam railway!

Ronnie Clark

In message , Ronnie Clark writes

Not according to my computer at work:

ping Elvis Elvis is alive

:-)

Reply to
John Sullivan

Reply to
Graeme Hearn

A TGS was promised by Hornby in the mid-80s (a pre-production model was shown in the 1984 & 1985 catalogues), in the days when all their MkIIIs were of the under-length type. Don't think it ever saw the light of day, though.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

"Edmund Good" wrote

Do you not think they've got enough rubbish of their own to be able to do that already?

The only real reason I can believe that they would want much of the Lima UK tooling is to stop anyone else from getting it and setting up low-cost competition.

I'm not saying that none of the Lima UK tooling is worth having, but much of it pretty naff, and Hornby have fifty years of that quality of stuff still stuck in their tooling cupboard.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"David E. Belcher" wrote

Hornby have never been very expansive with their development of coaching stock models, and rarely if ever produced more than two or three variations of any specific coach type. I think the *new* Pullmans were the first real development of variety in any individual type of coach.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I think Hornby will want the Lima tooling for one reason - to create a budget train set that they can sell at a cheap price to introduce children to model railways. Much of what is being created today is really for collectors etc, not really for children. Make robust, cheap train sets for kids to introduce them to the hobby.

Reply to
Edmund Good

Edmund Good wrote:-

How about making a modern image train set with built-in DCC to attract teenagers? Last time I checked - and these figures will be higher now - the average school leaver spent £200 each weekend and not all of that went on booze and drugs. That is a huge potential market which the model industry is ignoring at present.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The message from snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (kim) contains these words:

Source for that info, please! When my lads left *university* they would have had trouble finding that kind of money for one weekend a year.

Reply to
David Jackson

David Jackson wrote:-

I specifically said "school leaver" not "university leaver". 17yr old's living at home with parents, no rent, no mortgage. Their biggest single expenditure is a car at an at average price of £2,000 = ten week's disposable income. [Source Top Gear: First Time Buyer's Survey]

(kim)

Reply to
kim