Hornby NEW models

"piemanlarger" wrote

So tell me when did you last see a prototype diesel pulling those numbers of coaches? I doubt if a real class 50 *ever* pulled seventeen - so what's the point or need?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Pat Hammond" wrote

I accept that now, but it is still a bloody stupid way of doing things and maybe they should try reading what they've written.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I did say a test train John, not a prototypical formation.

Last night!

I doubt if a real class 50 *ever* pulled seventeen - so what's the

Reply to
piemanlarger

And how many layouts can accomodate a train that long?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

According to

are due out during the 4th Quarter of 2004.

John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

I know of two personal ones and a club one!

Reply to
piemanlarger

In message , Adrian writes

Mine can.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"John Sullivan" wrote

Where's the smirking smiley at the end of your comment John? ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Whilst that is probably correct the same set of pages have the new A4 out in the first quarter, describe a Mainland HST (try MML), and have swopped a lot of reference numbers about (ie locos with Skaledale buildings) so together with the issue of the Hymek are questionable in their content. For example the the maroon BR Duchess is City of Nottingham but on those pages is City of Birmingham.

Do those pages actually link with the Hornby web site as I havn't found a link to them.

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

Are there two more private owner wagons trundling around it as of today John?

Simon

Reply to
piemanlarger

In message , piemanlarger writes

Yup. And very nice they are too.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Well, OK, so can mine, but the phrase "tail chasing" would be very apt! Perhaps I should ask how many layouts have stations which couldn't begin to accomodate 17 coaches....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

"Adrian" wrote

*Most* prototype stations would struggle these days.

Take Eurostars out of the equation and tell me when anyone last saw a regular service train with the number of coaches into double figures?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Not quite the same thing as they're EMUs and thus not pulled behind an engine but half of the trains I use to and from work are 12 coaches long (3x4 car sets). Hastings line via Orpington to CX.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Adrian writes

My layout doesn't have stations.

It will do, when I get around to them, however. And each station will accommodate no more than 8 coaches. Stopping trains will be 5 coaches long, strengthened when necessary with a couple more. Main line trains will be longer than 8 coaches, of course, but they won't stop at the stations. 15 is the maximum length I'm considering for a normal express, but for a test train anything is possible (I had 24 on a Heljan class 47 not all that long ago).

And, in any case, I'm applying rule 1: It's my layout and I'll run what I like.

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , John Turner writes

This morning. I see them regularly. Peak-hour long-distance trains out of Victoria, Charing Cross, etc., are usually 12 cars.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Best way to have done it is put a rake of hoppers behind each loco and then loaded them with some heavy objects and done it that way, no one can complain then about long coach loads. ;-)

Reply to
ViP

I once tried this but x amount of wagon hoppers weighing say 1600grms dont equate to 10 Backman mk 1 (10 roughly = 1600grms) due to the drag factor of the number of wheel sets.

Reply to
piemanlarger

Scotrail sleepers, before splitting/after joining portions.

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

Not the most acurate comparison is it?

You're comparing the full Hornby RRP to the discounted Heljan price.

So its actually GBP54.00 for the Hornby compared to GBP79.00 for the Heljan, then there's nearly GBP25.00 difference.

Reply to
nospam