How to sell a model railway

snipped-for-privacy@interalpha.couk said the following on 08/03/2008 12:53:

Oh, that is so true - I'll add ex-RAF to that list as well.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Ahem - a large proportion of unskilled/low skilled jobs here are agency jobs, where a contract of any type would be a bonus. I've been there - turn up on Monday, "Sorry, no work today" and too late to find anything else. It sounds like the French have it good!

Not having a pop at anyone individual, but the assumptions made about low-paid work and how it works, particularly on the BBC Have Your Say and the like, by those lucky enough to have contracts etc to worry about is amazing, and seemingly based soley on press stories about Council or NHS workers. I strongly reccommed a year of trying it to those who need to comment - I have. I've had the stupidity of having to fill in a complete new dole claim form because I was stupid enough to admit to getting 16 hours agenecy work in a week rather thay lying like I should saying I only did 15 so I just had to sign a form, I have the pleasure of joining the queue at 9.00 pm outside a parcel distributor hoping to get picked that night (having forked out £10.00 to get there, and no way of getting it back if there's no work), I've had the pleasure of the threatening letter for the council tax people because I had no way of paying it as I'd had no work that week, but wasn't technically unemployed that week because I been stupid enough to do a couple of days work. etc etc etc.

I've also been homeless as well a good few years back. That's another experience some should try, to find out just what *really* goes on.

Go, try it. Then come back and comment.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The streets on a new estate near here are all named after big-four CME's; Stanier Close, Collett Close, Churchward Avenue, etc. I doubt the residents have a clue who any of them were? The site was formerly a coal wharf for 330 wagons.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

It isn't Dylan Thomas' time still?

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

It was in my first English Language teachers head!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Not since 1953!

Reply to
MartinS

That wasn't a good year for me, either.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Arthur Figgis" Snipped

As was the southern end of the North Staffordshire Railways' Churnet Valley line from Froghall to Uttoxeter.

DW

Reply to
David Westerman

There are probably more examples,two I can readily recall are part of the line from Bideford to Torrington which took over a good proportion of the Rolle Canal as the owner Lord Rolle offered it to be used as such. Now walkable as part of the Tarka trail. The line which once ran from near Romsey to Andover took over parts of the route of the Southampton and Andover Canal.Some of this is also part of a footpath. On both you have to know where to look to see any evidence of the former waterway use,though on the Devon example there is a fairly large aqueduct extant. Has been used as a private road bridge since the coming and going of the railway. Many people must see it and not know its history even waterway enthusiasts,canals mainly being associated with the Industrial Midlands and North not agricultural Devon.

G.Harman

Reply to
oldship