LMS Black 5's

But can anybody confirm how widespread the slang terms of blacks and reds was. I just had a thought, I am probabley be getting the CRE after me now. Can anybody think of a suitable pc term for an LMS Class 5MT.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

To us in the SW there were black 5's, Jubilees, Patriots,OXO's, Jintys and Crabs. Now and then a garrett to drool over;

Reply to
peter abraham

What is an OXO?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

In message , Kevin writes

A cube for putting stock into? :-)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

A Roman Big Bertha?

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Any 0-6-0 Tender Engine (midland)

Reply to
peter abraham

The message from "Kevin" contains these words:

Hmmm. "Black Five" works just fine on this PC.

Reply to
David Jackson

What's a Garrett? Oh OK, the traction engines from Leiston in Suffolk?

Kevin Martin

"Kevin"

I was brought up on the Midland mainline in West Yorkshire and Stanier engines were everyday motive power. We referred to the main Stanier classes exclusively as:-

Black 5s (never blacks) Jubes (never reds)

8Fs (heard them occasionally called Black 8s).

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

Were they never called "Mickeys" over in Outer Yorkshire? (as in "Mixed Traffic", 5MT)

Common expression over here: "It's only a Mickey!" when the Liverpool-Llandudno flyer failed to produce the expected Jub or Scot.

Reply to
David Jackson

"David Jackson" wrote

Occasionally head the 'Mickey' name, but certainly not an everyday expression.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

-------------------------------

When I were a lad they carried

5P5F on their cab sides.
Reply to
Eddie Bellass

"Stanier 5 MT" ?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Wouldn't that cause confusion with the Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Kim asked:

------------------------------------

No Kim...

The assorted company perched on the then comfortable ex-LNWR wooden fence*** at Winwick Jn might or might not refer to a Black 5 as a Mickey but the (then) brand new Ivatt 2-6-0s received the extended name of Mickey Mouse.

*** 58 years on, I've still got the splinters in my bum cheeks!
Reply to
Eddie Bellass

"kim" wrote

We're talking about a hobby involving (mainly) young kids here Kim - confusion was the order of the day, otherwise why give anything a nickname at all?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "kim" contains these words:

Nah! They were Mickey Mice... [on the grounds that they couldn't pull themselves along, so don't give them a train]

Reply to
David Jackson

This Great Western bigot thinks that the Ivatt class 2s were possibly the best of the modern post war locomotives - especially after they were given better drafting copied from the Dean Goods.

Both tank and tender versions.

Hawksworth had a design for a lightweight 4-4-0 using a domeless version of its boiler in much the same way as this County class had a boiler derived from the 8F. It was intended to replace the old double-framed 4-4-0s but was never built.

I think it would have been a pretty little engine. A modern boiler on a small 4-4-0 with GWR chimney, safety valve cover, cab, tender etc and a continuous splasher like the Counties. But it couldn't have pulled much. The 2-6-0 was much better.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

On moving - at the tender age of 5 - from the South Coast to north Manchester, and with the four-track ex-L&Y Manchester to Blackpool line at the end of the avenue, I became interested in the trains at the end of the road. From the friendships I struck up, I recall the local nicknames were: "Stan Tanks" - any Stanier 2-6-4T (we rarely saw Fowler/Fairburn/Ivatt tank engines; "Crabs" - the Hughes-Fowler 2-6-0's (but not the Stanier 2-6-0's, which were rarely seen); "Mickeys" - Stanier Black 5's; "Pats" - rebuilt and unrebuilt "Patriots"; "Jubs" - Jubilees; "Scots" - Royal Scots; "Prinnies" - "Princess" Class; "Semis" - Coronation Class (latter two only seen when visiting Manchester London Road); "Shielder" - any locomotive with smoke deflectors; "Coffeepots" - Fowler 0-6-0T; "DubDees" - Austerity 2-8-0's and - eventually - "Brits" and "Clans" for the named Standard locomotives. As far as I can recall there was no nickname for the Stanier 2-8-0's, although we did see plenty of them. ... and that was what 6/7/8 year olds in the Pendlebury area called them! Hope this helps,

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

at Toton.