LMS Black 5's

In message , peter abraham writes

It seems you have made a slight speling missteak: it should be Beyer Garratt, with a second A rather than an E. Maybe that was what Kevin was trying to imply.

Please do not flame me for pointing out this error. When searching via Google, it does help to spell things correctly, and the wrong spelling can lead to totally different sites, as we see in Kevin's posting.

See

Jane Sullivan

Them's the ones ;-)

Reply to
Kevin Martin

Good, I'm glad that is sorted out. I promise not to make another error until I feel like it.

Reply to
peter abraham

Wasn't there also a Jubilee in the experimental bluish slate-grey livery during the post-war years?

David Belcher

Reply to
deb107_york

Yes; according to "Locomotive Liveries of the LMS" (David Jenkinson, 1957) No 5573 NEWFOUNDLAND was painted in blue/grey. The entry in the above book reads "In March/April 1946, this engine was painted in what was thought to have been the fully lined out style of the thirties but the body colour was a 'dark' blue/grey in place of the crimson. The black edging was changed to crimson and may have been a little wider than pre-war. Insignia was unshaded sans serif, lining is recorded as 'gold' colour. However, this is believed to have been in fact a pale yellow of golden shade (hence the confusion) and painted on. The most likely explanation is that it was the 'straw' shade later used with the 1946 livery and the insignia were also, probably, of the 1946 pattern but without the maroon edging. It is not known for how long 5573 ran in grey livery"

Hope this helps,

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan